Chapter 8

With a grimace, Arthur began to pull his shirt up and over his head. It was much harder than he had expected, even factoring in the out of commission arm, and eventually he had to admit defeat. "Might need a hand with that." Merlin seemed to blush slightly but leant down, gently pulling the shirt over his head. His hands deftly unwrapped the bandages from Arthur's shoulder and he knelt down over him to inspect the wound. He seemed satisfied with it and slowly began to redress it with fresh bandages.

Ever since Merlin knelt, that burning awareness of his closeness had returned and Arthur could feel his heart racing even more than it had during the earlier battle. Sparks of lightning seemed to shoot through him at Merlin's every caress. He realised he was staring at him: those soft lips slightly downturned as he worked, with slightly furrowed eyebrows over focused, bright blue eyes, his cheekbones so sharp in the flickering firelight he wondered how they didn't cut his skin. As if feeling his gaze, Merlin looked over. He stared back, his pupils wide pools of black. He could drown in those eyes.

Nothing else mattered - not his wound, not their stations, not even the fact they were both men. It was just him and Merlin in the world. Merlin's gaze had drifted down to Arthur's lips. They were suspended in that moment, not moving, hardly willing to breathe. This time it was Arthur who broke the tension; he reached up with his good arm, pulling Merlin in to him and capturing his lips in a kiss. All of their desire, all their desperation for each other poured out in the kiss. Merlin's lips parted eagerly and their tongues tangled, sweet fire racing from Arthur's lips to the pit of his stomach. His fingers twisted in Merlin's hair, pulling gently. Merlin's head fell back with a groan and Arthur's kiss traveled lazily along his jaw and down to his neck. He nibbled and sucked gently, wanting to leave a mark, a memory that would linger in the morning.

Merlin's hands traced down his back then came around to his chest. Arthur wanted more than hands. He wanted to feel Merlin against him, his skin against his chest. As if feeling the same need Merlin pulled away for a moment, yanking his shirt off and throwing himself back into Arthur's touch. Their lips found each other again, teasing at first. Merlin lifted his leg and shifted to straddle Arthur's lap - Arthur moaned against his mouth at the feeling of Merlin's hardness pressed against his own and their kiss became more frantic.

Merlin began to roll his hips, the contact sending waves of pleasure through Arthur's every nerve. It wasn't enough. Groaning, he leant forward, Merlin clinging to his neck as he was lowered to the cool ground. Arthur held himself up by his uninjured arm, leaving only his weakened one free to fumble with the laces of his trousers - Merlin noticed his struggle and broke the kiss, smiling softly. "Let me." He reached down, grazing his fingers over the bulge in Arthur's trousers and making him groan again. He swiftly undid them, pushing the breeches and underclothes down together. His long fingers wrapped around Arthur's girth. Arthur thrust his hips into the sensation, gasping in pleasure. His free hand reached for Merlin, ripping at the ties of his trousers now in his desperate need to feel more, to feel all of him. He finally freed Merlin's erection and lowered his hips. Merlin moaned and took both shafts in his hand, pressing them together as he continued to pump. Arthur felt his climax building as he continued to grind his hips, adding to the glorious friction. He kissed Merlin's face softly, whispering his name over and over again like a prayer. Glancing down, he could see Merlin's cock had begun to leak and he could feel his breaths coming faster; they were both so close. He looked at Merlin's face. His eyes were unfocused, hazy with pleasure, his kiss-swollen lips parted gently as he gasped. Arthur felt his release surge through him, groaning but unable to look away from Merlin, who followed a heartbeat later, his breath catching as he came.

But all Arthur could see were his eyes. His golden eyes. Fear drenched him like a bucket of ice water had been poured over his head. They were fading now but he knew what he had seen. At the moment of Merlin's climax, his beautiful blue eyes had flared gold. Magic. Arthur pushed himself back and saw, to his horror, a carpet of wildflowers in full bloom, that there had been no sign of before, had blossomed underneath them. Merlin finally refocused, looking at him in confusion before finally seeing the effects of his magic. His face fell. "Arthur-"

Arthur had stood and was dressing himself with shaking hands. "No." Merlin begin to rise, reaching out for him. Arthur stumbled back as if afraid of what Merlin would do, as if he truly believed Merlin may hurt him. He wouldn't look at him anymore. Merlin felt his heart crack at the sight. "Stay there!" Arthur barked.

"Please, Arthur, just let me explain-"

"How long? How long have you been studying magic? What, was it some plot, trying to get close to me, make me trust you so you could kill me more easily?"

The crack in Merlin's heart widened. "No, Arthur I - I didn't study magic, I was born like this. I was moving things with my mind before I could talk. And I would never use it to hurt you! I only use it to protect you, to protect Camelot. I swear. Please, look at me," Merlin said, unable to stop the tears gathering in his eyes. And he did look. Merlin regretted it instantly. On his face was an expression of complete and utter betrayal, and Merlin's heart finally shattered. Arthur turned and walked away.