Chapter 3

"Hmm." Gaius examined his patient methodically, his eyebrow raised as he considered the situation. "Did he say anything when he came round earlier?"

Arthur felt a slight blush creep up his neck. "Uh, no - well, I think he said my name but that was about it." Technically that was true, and he saw no point in revealing and reliving that strange moment in the corridor unless absolutely necessary. He glanced at Merlin on the cot. His skin was less flushed now, returning to its normal delicate hue, and his breathing seemed to have calmed, which had to be good news. He found his gaze drawn to his face, to those full, soft lips. He had never imagined they would be so soft - not that he had ever spent any time imaging the feel of Merlin's lips. Feeling the blush spreading up to his cheeks, he decided to take advantage of Gaius' focus on Merlin and disappear.

"I'll leave him in your hands then, Gaius. I have to oversee the search of Lady Mair's chambers," he said, turning as he spoke and hurrying from the room before Gaius could reply.

"If you find anything, bring it straight to me, Sire!" Gaius called after him. He returned to his books with a frown. He had so little to go on it was impossible to know where to start. Clearly this wasn't fatal, or at least not especially fast acting, but he was still left with countless options for what could have been in the wine. He sighed; for now there was only one thing he could do and that was keep reading. He prepared to settle himself down at his table with a stack of uncomfortably well used books on various poisons when he heard a murmuring from the patient cot. He rose as quickly as his old bones would allow and turned to see Merlin, looking understandably confused but otherwise reassuringly well already attempting to get up.

"Merlin -" Gaius began, relieved.

"Where's Arthur?" Merlin mumbled, staggering as he got to his feet. "Is he safe?"

"Sit down before you hurt yourself, boy," Gaius grumbled. "Arthur is perfectly fine, thanks to you. Though I will never understand what goes through your head, sometimes. Why couldn't you just pour the wine away instead of risking your own life? You had no idea what was actually in it!"

"I had to prove to him she was really trying something. Didn't really matter what happened to me," Merlin sighed, "as long as Arthur's safe."

Gaius tutted - that boy's devotion was going to get him in a lot of trouble one day. "Well we still don't know what exactly she used on you. How are you feeling? Any symptoms, feeling strange at all?" he asked, putting aside his personal concern to focus on his duty as a physician.

"Not really. Was I awake earlier too? I remember being carried and feeling quite...hot? I feel fine now, though."

"Arthur mentioned you woke briefly on the way here. I think I shall go and see if we've had any luck with the search in the Lady Mair's chambers. You should get some rest," he instructed Merlin, shepherding him towards his bedroom once he rose again.

"Alright, alright, just make sure Arthur's OK for me, will you?" Merlin asked. He collapsed onto his hard bed, with a faint memory of rushing heat and strong arms - Arthur's arms, it seemed - wrapped around him, following him into blissful sleep.

Gaius left his room, making for the guest chambers where he hoped some remnants of Lady Mair's potion might be found. He could hear the chaos long before he arrived, crashing and tearing punctuated by Arthur's booming commands echoing down the corridors. He arrived at the open doors to find a scene exactly as disordered as the noise would suggest: the table was overturned; the wardrobe doors had been flung open and all her dresses and jewellery thrown to the floor; the sheets and mattress had been ripped from the bed, the pillows already cut open and the mattress soon to be in the same state. Guards rummaged through every drawer, every nook and cranny, behind curtains, under the bed. This was no controlled search - this was a man enraged, needing answers but wanting revenge and trying to find both together.

Finally a guard emerged from under the bed, a small chest in his hands. This did not look like the possession of a noblewoman. It had no ornamentation on it; it was a plain and sturdy thing, built to be used, not seen. The lock, though solid, thankfully had no magic in it and was swiftly broken with a well placed blow from a sword. Arthur strode to it, pulling out a vial with a few drops of an almost luminescent purple liquid inside. He spun and made for the door immediately but stopped once he realised the man he wanted was already present.

"Gaius, what do you make of this?" Coming forward, Gaius took the vial and examined it. He cautiously removed its cork to smell the contents. The odour was not immediately familiar; it smelt to him faintly of roses, but with a distinctly bitter undertone.

"I cannot be sure yet, Sire, but I will take it to my chambers to properly look into it."

Arthur nodded curtly. His expression softened: "How is Merlin doing?" he asked, concern and guilt painted across his face.

"Much improved, Sire, he has awoken and seems to feel quite well. I do not wish to speak too soon, though, I doubt the only purpose of this potion was to knock you out for a few minutes. We shall have to see what I can find and what the morning brings for Merlin."

"Of course. Thank you, Gaius," Arthur replied. Then, as the physician turned to leave, "Tell him I'm grateful, would you? I'll tell him myself in the morning, of course, but...well, I want him to know," he finished, awkwardly. Gaius smiled and nodded, continuing back to his books and the upcoming search. Arthur soon followed, leaving the destruction of her chambers in his wake as he made for his bed. He shut his doors firmly behind him and sighed as the sour adrenaline began to drain out of him. As he sank into his mattress the events of the evening swirled through his mind, one in particular leaving him little chance for peace - a hand in his hair, blue eyes, and warm lips setting his skin ablaze. He groaned and rolled over, burying his burning face in a pillow. It would be a long night.