Chapter 4

Merlin got up with a spring in his step. The sun was rising, he had saved Arthur and his king would be waiting for him, sprawled in bed with that gorgeous sleep tousled hair that only he was lucky enough to get to see. He dressed quickly and jogged from his room. He crept past Gaius' sleeping form, collapsed over a mound of books and, after a quick stop in the kitchens for Arthur's breakfast, headed to wake him. Not for a moment did his huge grin leave his face.

"Rise and shine, sweetheart!" Arthur awoke with a groan to the sound of Merlin's voice and the bright glare of morning sun hitting his face.

"Merl -" he stopped suddenly. Did Merlin just call him...sweetheart? He looked up at his manservant with a strange fluttering in his chest. He was over at his wardrobe, selecting his clothing for the day, smiling widely and humming a tune. "Er, are you feeling alright today, Merlin?"

"Hmm? Oh I feel fine!" Merlin glanced over with obvious fondness. "Were you worried about me?"

"Well, of course, it would be far too much trouble to train a new manservant if you went and died," Arthur joked. He looked over at Merlin with a grin - his face fell when he saw the look of genuine hurt on Merlin's face. He felt a fresh pang of guilt and couldn't help but look away and backtrack, "But yes, I was worried. It was my fault you were hurt. I should have listened. I'm sorry, Merlin, and thank you." He looked up and felt a weight lift off his shoulders at the sight of Merlin's dorky grin plastered on his face again.

"You're welcome. Well, come on then, full day ahead and you can't face it in that," Merlin said. Arthur stood and walked over to the screen his clothes were hung over, the awkward events of yesterday forgotten in the light of Merlin's smile. He really didn't know what he would have done if he'd lost this idiot; he would have to try to show him how much he appreciated everything he did.

Merlin joined him behind the screen, helping him change. It was nothing they hadn't done a hundred times before, but it seemed different to Arthur today; Merlin's eyes lingered a moment longer, his touch seemed a little softer, his hands caressing his arm, his chest, his stomach. Arthur pulled away at the last touch, his skin burning at all the points Merlin's hands had met his body. He could feel a blush beginning to colour his cheeks. He finally looked at Merlin; his gaze was already fixed on Arthur's face, his pupils wide and his face as red as Arthur's felt. His lips parted softly and the memory of their feel flooded Arthur's mind.

A knock came at the door, breaking Arthur's captivation. "Come in!" he barked, willing his pounding heart to calm, grateful for the interruption. The door swung open and Gaius entered the chambers.

"My apologies, Sire, but I believe I have discovered the purpose of the potion," Gaius said. "It seems to be a form of love potion."

"A love potion?" Trepidation filled Arthur, recent moments starting to fall into place.

"Indeed." Gaius answered dryly, eyebrow quirked. "Tell me, Merlin, how do you fell about the Lady Mair?"

Arthur felt a slight pang of anxiety at the thought of how Merlin may reply. He answered, with disgust tinting his voice: "Lady Mair? She's awful! She tried to hurt Arthur. No, I'm definitely not in love with her!" he laughed.

"Strange," Gaius pondered, "the only other person I can think you would have been exposed to would be Arthur." He looked at the two of them, realisation dawning. Arthur willed him silently not to ask the question he knew was coming. "How do you feel about Arthur, Merlin?" Oh, no.

"Arthur?" He turned to look at his king with that blinding smile again. "I love him!"

Arthur had seen it coming but it still floored him; a rush of something hot and sweet filled his chest, quickly followed by aching guilt and a touch of something strangely akin to disappointment. There it was - a love potion had made Merlin fall for him. That was it. That was why he had been behaving like this. It was all because of a potion. He shook his head as if to dislodge these confusing thoughts: "Gaius, tell me there's an antidote?"

"I believe I have found one, but I am missing one of the ingredients," Gaius said. Arthur sighed; of course it couldn't be so simple. "It shouldn't be too hard to find," Gaius continued, "it grows near an underground lake a little over a day's ride from here."

"Then I will go and find it," Arthur said decisively.

"Sire, it would surely be wiser to send someone in your place? There is no need for you to leave Camelot personally."

"There is every need. Merlin is in this mess because of me. It is my duty to see it is reversed."

A hand shot up near the changing screen: "Do I get any input in this? Because honestly, I feel fine. There's no need for all this," interjected Merlin. He smiled and gazed adoringly at Arthur. Arthur and Gaius shared a look.

"I'll set out immediately."

"I think that would be best."