Chapter Two: Guardians? Our center?

Hold on. What? Guardians? Since when? The Yeti's cheered and held up flaming torches as the Elves played some music. So we don't have a choice in this? The Yeti's did a fire show with the flaming torches and the elves tried to give us necklaces and Jack some shoes. North was given a book and, at that point, I had enough and shot my heart arrow in the air making it explode and everyone stopped what they were doing.

"What makes you think we want to be Guardians?" I asked.

North just laughed, "Of course you do. MUSIC!"

The Elves played again.

"No music!" Jack said making the Elves stop, "This is all very flattering, but, uh, you don't want us. You're all hard work and deadlines and I'm snowballs and fun times."

"I'm all hard work but I don't do well with children. Just relationships with grown-ups and trying to keep the LGBTQ+ community alive. We're not Guardians," I said.

"Yeah. That's exactly what I said," Bunny said.

"Guys, I don't think you understand what it is we do," Tooth said before flying to the giant globe covered in small lights, "each of those lights is a child."

"A child who believes," North said, "and good or bad, naughty or nice, we protect them."

Tooth went back to looking at Jack's teeth. North told her not to so she left him alone.

"Okay. No more wishy-washy. Pitch is out there doing who knows what!" North said.

"You mean the-the Boogeyman?" Jack asked.

"My old friend?" everyone looked at me, "it was a bad choice I made say 500 years ago but we're not friends anymore!"

"Anyway, yes!" North said, "when Pitch threatens us, he threatens them as well!"

"All the more reason to pick people more qualified," Jack said.

"Pick? You think we pick?" North asked, "no, you two were chosen! Like we were all chosen. By Man in Moon!"

"Pardon?" I asked.

"Last night, he chose you two," Tooth said.

"Maybe," Bunny said.

"Man in the Moon... He talks to you?" Jack asked.

"You see, you cannot say no. It is destiny," North said.

"But why wouldn't he tell me that himself?" Jack sighed, "after300 years, this is his answer? To spent eternity like you guys, cooped up in some... some hideout thinking of new ways to bribe kids? No, no. That's not for me! No offense."

"Offence taken," I said.

I have a hideout and that's a palace of hearts and love and a lot of pets. I like animals.

Bunny stammered, "how is that not offensive? You know what I think? I think we dogged a bullet. I mean, what's this clown know about bringing joy to children anyway? Same with Miss Love over here?"

"Fair point, Bunny," I said.

"Uh, you ever hear of a snow day?" Jack asked, "I know it's no hard-boiled egg, but kids like what I do."

"But none of them believe in you, do they?" Bunny asked him, "You see, you're invisible, mate. It's like you don't even exist."

Tooth gasped, "Bunny. Enough."

"No. The kangaroo's right," Jack said.

"The-the-the what? What did you call me? I'm not a kangaroo, mate," Bunny said.

"Oh, and this whole time I thought you were. If you're not a kangaroo, what are you?"

"I'm a bunny. The Easter Bunny. People believe in me."

Then things got awkward. Sandy pat North's leg and he told me and jack to walk with him. We did, following him through the workshop seeing all the Yeti's make and paint toys for the kids. I thought the elves made the toys. I guess not. All the Yeti's were copying the toys from ice sculptures of them. North made one poor Yeti annoyed telling him to paint sixty blue robots red.

He faceplanted on the table and knocked the robot he had just finished painting to the side. I gave it back and patted his head feeling sorry for him. maybe I'll help him later. I kept following North. We went into North'soffice. It was part wood and part ice. He had ice blocks and sculptures everywhere. Candles, candy canes, books toys, and a Christmas tree. An Elf came over on a shelf with some fruitcake. North offered some but Jack refused so he threw it away. Poor fruitcake.

"Now we get down to tacks of brass," North said cracking his knuckles.

We were confused when the door shut and locked on its own. Northbacked us into the door.

"Who are you, Cupid and Jack Frost?" North asked, "what is your center?"

"Our center?" Jack asked.

"If Man in Moon chose you two to be Guardians, you must have something very special inside," North thought and took a Russiandoll of him off the shelf, "here. This how you see me, no? Very big, intimidating. But if you get to know me a little..." Northhanded Jack the doll, "Well, go on."

Jack opened the doll to see another North.

"You are downright jolly?" I asked.

"But not just jolly! I am also mysterious, and fearless, and caring," North said as Jack kept opening the dolls, "and at my center?"Jack opened the last doll to reveal a baby version of North.

"There's a tiny wooden baby," Jack said.

"Look closer. What do you see?" North asked.

"You have big eyes," I said.

"Yes! Big eyes. Very big. Because they are full of wonder. That is my center. It is what I was born with. Eyes that have always seen the wonder in everything! Eyes that see lights in the trees and magic in the air," we stepped out of North's office, "this wonder is what I put into the world! And what I protect in children. It is what makes me a Guardian. It is my center. What is yours?"

"I don't know," Jack said.

"I'm not sure but I think it's love and kindness. I've been on this Earth for 800 years and that is all I've wanted to do. Spread love and kindness. I love it and I want to keep sharing it with the world. Perhaps children too," I said.

North smiled and nodded and let Jack keep the baby Russian doll. We sawTooth fly past the window and Bunny and Sandy ran up to us.

"We have a problem, mate. Trouble at the tooth palace."