Chapter Six: The final battle

Jamie reached out his hand and the Nightmares turned into Sandy's dreams when they hit his hand. All the dreams lit up the dark streets and into people's homes, making them dream of the Guardians so everyone went back to normal. North could stand, Tooth could fly and Bunny was his normal six-foot-one again. Pitch wasn't finished with us. HisNightmares started attacking us so we fought back.

North made Yeti's, Elves, and toys come from the Pole, and Bunny made the giant stone eggs come from The Warren. I took a snow globe from North and got my pets here to fight too. We attacked and destroyed Nightmares and the kids turned them into dreams. Jack confronted Pitch until we joined the fun. We fought on the rooftop until North took Pitch off his Nightmare horse and onto the street.

Pitch took out his scythe and started attacking us but didn't even try hurting me. Soon he was cornered. Or so we thought. He disappeared into the shadows. We looked around until Bunny saw Pitch behind Jack trying to kill him with his scythe. Bunny threw a boomerang to stop him but that only delayed him. Pitch tried one more swing but he was stopped by a golden rope around his wrist, dragging him away.

We followed to see none other than Sandy himself alive and well. He punched Pitch in the air still attached to his whips. He tipped a hat to Jamie and his friends before forcing Pitch to the ground and knocking him out. We said hello to Sandy before letting him work his magic. Dreams for everyone all over the world to remember the Guardians and believe in me and Jack. All Nightmares were turned into dreams of all kinds from fish to dinosaurs.

Jack then started a snowball fight. Same old Jack. Everyone joined in. Well, it was all fun and games until Pitch woke up but, it was too late for him. The children had stopped believing in him and ran right through him. Pitch seemed scared now. He started running. We caught up with him at the frozen lake near Jamie's house where Pitch bumped into North.

"Leaving the party so soon?" North asked.

"You didn't even say goodbye," Tooth said tossing him a quarter.

Pitch was confused until Tooth punched him in the face knocking a back tooth out. Ouch.

"And that's for my fairies," Tooth said as her little fairies squeaked angrily at Pitch.

"You can't get rid of me!"Pitch said standing up, "Not forever! There will always be fear!"

"So what?" North asked, "as long as one child believes, we will be here to fight fear."

"Really? Then what are they doing here?" Pitch motioned to the Nightmares around us.

North laughed, "They can't be my Nightmares. I'm not afraid."

Pitch had a look of realization and shock.

"Looks like it's your fear they smell, My King," I said smirking.

It felt nice to use that old nickname again. Pitch gasped in horror and started running. The Nightmares chased him. They caught him and dragged him back down to his lair never to be seen again. Tooth hugged Jack out of happiness before letting him go.

"Are you ready now, Jack? Cupid? To make it official?" North asked.

Well, now Pitch is gone, what do I have to lose? We nodded. A Yeti gave North the book we saw when he first tried to make us Guardians and opened it.

"Then is time you both take Oath," North said looking in the book, "Will you, Jack Frost and Cupid, vow to watch over the children of the world, to guard them with your life, their hopes, their wishes, and their dreams, for they are all that we have, all that we are, and all we will ever be?"

We looked at Jamie who nodded and smiled.

"I will," Jack said smiling.

"I will," I said smiling.

"Then, congratulations, Jack Frost and Cupid, for you are now, and forevermore, Guardians!" North said smiling.

Everyone cheered. North kissedJack's cheeks and chuckled. My smile didn't last long, however. I feel like I didn't answer Pitch's cry for help. And this celebration doesn't feel right without him here for support. I guess now thathe's gone, I see how much I actually need him with me. And how the world needs fear. Perhaps not as much as he forced on everyone but balanced out like how everyone else does what they do.

All the Guardians have important roles in the world to make it the way it is but you can't have the perfect world without a little bit of fear. North's sleigh came to pick us up and we were ready to leave. Jack had to assure Jamie who was scared of Pitch coming back and not believing us. Once that was over with, we left in the sleigh. But all I could think about was Pitch. I wish we could've helped him. Perhaps I'll go to his lair later.

That's what I did. I searched around but he was nowhere to be found. I swore I watched him get dragged down here. Oh! He must be in the bedroom. Not that he sleeps anyway. He's the Nightmare King. He doesn't need sleep. I checked there and, just as I thought, he was in here. Still as black and dark as I remembered it. Pitch was sitting on his side of the bed facing away from me. Isay his side. It was his side when we were a couple.

"Pitch?" I said approaching the bed.

"Thank you," Pitch said.

"For what?"

"For coming to my aid. You got the message."

"Hold on. You wanted this?"

"I wanted you to free me from the chains I was bonded to by my mistakes. You freed me."

"You're welcome then."

"You should go and never comeback. I promise I will never interfere with yours or the Guardians' work again."

"If that is what you wish. But take this."

I placed a dark chocolate heart-shaped cake on the bed. It was always his favorite. I also gave him a golden heart locket. Inside, a picture of me and a life quote I always loved: It's only with the heart that some can see clearly. What's essential is invisible to the eye. And one last thing: One last kiss. After that, I left him as he asked. I went back to work doing what I do best. Years past and Pitch kept his promise. I never saw him again. But the world felt lonely without him. I never told the Guardians about Pitch and I, however. It's best if they never know.