Chapter Eight: Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is here and, to be honest, it doesn't feel right to celebrate it. At least I don't. Everyone else will but I don't want to. Either way, I still have a job, so what choice do I have? I collected my bow and arrows and flew out of my palace. This is a day of love, so I need to spread the love the best I can. I arrived in the town that Jamie lived in to observe the people out and about. But something didn't feel right.

Everyone was with their loved ones or soon-to-be loved ones but something felt off. Everyone seemed too confident. I know that should be a good thing but I've seen many times that people can be scared or nervous about confessing, or first dates, or a hundredth date. Pitch isn't interfering. I know that should be a good thing as that was part of the deal but, if I'm honest, I might need it. But he won't come out. He hates the daylight.

Well, I'm not forcing him out in the daylight. I'll wait for nightfall. Besides, it's the most romantic time during Valentine's. So, I did my job during the day all over the world until the sun started to set. By then, I decided not to go into his lair to go get him. He needs to come out at his own choice. So, I waited longer and did whatever I could to draw him out. And boy was I patent. It was late in the night when Pitch appeared. Of course, I didn't know that at the time.

"If this is your way of summoning me, you've clearly forgotten how," Pitch said from behind me

"I need your help," I said turning to him.

"I think you've asked the wrong person for that."

"No one else can do it."

"Lo-... Cupid, I'm not a guardian. All I do is cause trouble."

"Which is exactly what I need. Now follow me. Please?"

Pitch shook his head but agreed. So, I took him around the town I was in, looking for someone that we could both help. We soon found someone who I already knew needed help. It was a nineteen-year-old boy who was going through tough times. He was gay and in love with a boy in his school who he didn't know was gay or not. I knew the boy was bisexual but I needed them both together.

The boy we were with hadn't come out to his parents either out of fear of being rejected. But I felt he needed that little push to confess and confidence to come out. He was asleep in a pile of his studies. Sandy had already done his part by giving the boy a dream but I needed to ruin it. So, I told Pitch to turn it into a nightmare. Pitch hesitated saying that he couldn't do that again. Besides, Sandy was already mad at him for everything.

I told him that I would take the blame for it if Sandy found out and that I really needed him to do this. He reminded me of our deal and I told him the deal was off. So, hesitantly, Pitch did as I asked. He made the dream into a nightmare and we waited. By that time, I had left Pitch alone to get the other boy. I shot him with my arrow to give him the feeling that he should meet up with the other boy. He was awake, luckily for me. Having an off dealing thanks to me, he called up the boy asking if they could meet up in the park.

He agreed so they went to the park. I would meet Pitch there too demanding an explanation. All in due time. We just had to wait. We watched as the two met up and the boy I asked Pitch to give a nightmare to told the other what his nightmare was about. It was about his parents taking his coming out badly and them kicking him out. The other boy assured him that everything would be fine. That's when I used my arrow on them to help them confess to each other. And it worked. They would soon leave.

"I don't understand," Pitch spoke up, "Why did you need me for this?"

"To show you that fear can be a good thing," I said.

"Others would disagree."

"Pitch, look at what happened just now. Fear can be good and it can bring people together."

"No, love can."

"These two wouldn't have been brought together tonight if it wasn't for your nightmare. I can't do that. Only you can. Pitch, whether you agree with me or not, the people need fear. If we don't have fear, we'll never have moments like that. And I believe that is why the Man in the Moon chose you to be a Guardian. You're the one who usually makes things happen for good or bad. It's how life is. You can learn when to use your fear for good. Use it to do what you did today. I'm not making your decisions for you. This is your choice."

"Why are you trying to help me?"

"Because you deserve a chance. Just listen to what I said and do your best. And, if you want to keep helping me, you're more than welcome to."

I walked away to continue my job and, surprisingly, Pitch followed. It was mostly him watching me work while he did his best to do something too. And he only helped me when I asked for it. I don't care if the Guardians catch me with Pitch. I'm just trying to help. But I'm having a bit of Deja vu. This feels like the time we first met and started to get along.

Could we do that again? Start over? Could we fall in love again and get this right this time? I don't know. I guess only time will tell. When the night came to an end, we parted ways. But not before I gave him some of the cake I made for the 800th anniversary of Valentine's Day. He took it and disappeared into the shadows. We'll meet again soon. Perhaps tomorrow night. 

(A/N: Thank you @suga_ouran_academy for the cake above.)