Eighteen || Torn Down

» TORN DOWN |

I sat in the bar drinking my third beer. My friend Carter sat beside me, rambling to me about different girls he was scoping out. I knew he was trying to help me get over this heartbreak, but to be honest, I didn't think I wanted a new girl. I wanted Brook. 

All I wanted was her.

I knew it was huge mistake to break things off with her, but I didn't exactly have a choice. I was tearing her apart from her family and I didn't want to make things worse for her or them. 

I let out a loud sigh, staring down at the yellowish liquid in the clear glass cup. I just wanted to go home, but I knew that I would probably be here tomorrownight, and the next night. 

I sigh again and nudge the cup away, rubbing the back of my neck. "I'm going to head home," I said to Carter.

He quickly turns me to be, briefly averting his attention from the brunette he had been talking to. "Are you okay to drive?" he asked. 

"I only had three glasses," I informed him as I shoved my hand in my pocket, pulling out a couple of bills.. "I'll be okay to drive." I doubt Carter was even listening to me, considering he was busy flirting with his new girl again. I slapped the money on the bar and grab my jacket, navigating my way out of the stuffy bar. I approach my truck and unlock the doors, slipping inside. 

I could still remember the way that she looked at me when I told her that it was over. There was so much pain, betrayal even. But I knew she would get over me soon enough—she was a strong girl. Besides, she deserved someone better than me, someone who could take care of her. 

Even as I thought this, I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle the pain of seeing her with someone else. That was something that was going to destroy me. I gritted my teeth and tightened my hands on the steering wheel as I pressed harder on the pedal. "I'm such an idiot," I mumbled to myself. 

I was going to have to get her out of my head for her and my own good. 

Once I arrived to my house, I went straight upstairs to my bedroom. I wasn't sure if I would be able to sleep tonight, every time I closed my eyes I would see Brook, and a memory we shared together. 

I rested my head on my cool pillow and closed my eyes, willing myself to sleep. 

I knew that Brook was probably crying her eyes out because of me, and it was like someone tore my heart out of my chest when I saw the pain I brought her. I just pray that she'll find someone new and better to make her forget about all of what I had caused her. 

Stray tears leak from my closed eyes, me quickly swiping them away. Eventually I just give up and let them slide down my face, dampening my pillow.

*** 

The next morning, I awoke to the pounding of my head as well as the front door. I groaned loudly and sat up, rubbing at my temples. I shook my head and stumble out of bed, shuffling out of my room. I rub my face to try and wake myself up. 

When I opened the front door, I was greeted with Nicole wearing her infamous scowl. Her eyes were narrowed, her lips were pursed, and her arms were crossed. I immediately knew she was going to yell at me. "Nicole-" 

"Don't Nicole me," she growled, making me fall silent. "I want to know what gave you the right to break my sisters heart. She doesn't deserve this, she's been through enough and she can deal without another heartbreak from someone she loves," 

The entire time I've known Nicole, I've never seen her upset, at least not like this. I fiddle with my fingers as I hesitantly meet her hateful gaze. "Niki, it was for the best. She's better off without me," I tried to explain. 

"You're damn right she is," she snapped, making me flinch. "But she loved you, alright? I haven't seen her smile like that in such a long time, and for you to just throw it all away without giving her a perfect explanation why isn't fair. Brook deserves to know why!" Nicole barked. I could see the fire burning in her eyes, it was a little terrifying. 

"Look, I'm sorry-"

"You should be sorry, but you shouldn't be saying it to me." Before I could say anything, Nicole swiveled around and stormed away. As if I didn't feel bad enough already.

So sorry for the short chapter, but it's just a small filler chapter, I will update again soon and try to make it slightly longer. :)