Ten || Play It Again

»PLAY IT AGAIN |

Luke and I both walked side by side watching everyone have fun with one another. I hooked my thumbs into the pockets of my shorts as we walked around the fair. I mentally thanked Jake for telling me to wear shorts. It was too hot to wear anything else, especially since we were outside all day. I looked up at the sky seeing that the sun was finally setting. Luke and I didn't ride any of the rides yet, mostly because I was scared of them. So we just wandered around all day, occasionally stopping to get a snack. To other girls, this might not be the perfect date because there was no fancy restaurant or dressing up. But to me this was the best date in the entire world.

"So," I began staring down at my boots. I looked up at Luke and smiled.  "I'm actually having a lot of fun tonight!”

Luke gave me a puzzled look. “Even though we haven’t gotten on any of the rides?” He chuckled.

I nibbled on my lip debating on whether or not I should tell him the real issue here. I trust that he wont make a big deal out of it, after all, I trust him enough to let him take me on a date. “The only reason why I’m not going on any of the rides is because I'm scared of them." I confessed sheepishly. "My mom would always try to get me to go on one, but everyone excluding me would end up riding. I just stood there and watched." 

Luke stopped walking and I halted. "Hey Brook?" I look up to see him smiling adoringly at me. "You hardly ever got to really live did you?" He asked. "You were always taking care of your sister and you missed out on a lot of your life." He said. "I think that maybe you should be allowed a little break every now and then." 

I slightly pursed my lips. I didn't know what to say, I wasn't used to taking a break. Hell, I barely even knew what a "break" was. There was never time for a break growing up. There was always something that needed to be done or someone who needed to be taken care of. I guess it just kind of grew on me. 

Luke scooped my hand in his, grasping my attention. I looked up at him, startled by the sudden contact. He grinned at me and started walking in front of me, pulling me along with him. I wasn't sure where he was leading me until I saw the ferris wheel. Lights covered what seemed like every square inch of the ride. Couples were seated in each cart; some holding hands, some with their arms raised in the air as the wheel slowly turned them in a wide circle.

Even though the ferris wheel was turning incredibly slow, I still gulped in fear. I was terribly afraid of heights, always have been. I shook my head and tore my eyes away from the ride. "Luke, I-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer." Luke interrupted. He smirked and  began pulling on my hand again. 

This man was seriously going to be the death of me. The closer we got to the ferris wheel, the taller it seemed. With each step my fear grew, weighing down in the pit of my stomach. I stopped a few times, but Luke continued to pull me along. Pretty soon he was just straight up dragging me. By the time we approached the man operating the wheel, I was completely terrified.

"We'd like to ride, please." Luke pulled out two of the sky blue tickets from his pocket and handed them to him. I just stood rigid, my heart pounding violently in my chest. I wanted to scream in protest, but my mouth remained tightly sealed. I wanted to run, but my feet remained firmly planted on the ground.

The man stopped the ferris wheel and collected the tickets from Luke. After a couple exited, he lifted the bar and gestured at our seat. "In you go!"

Luke stepped forward, but stopped when I didnt move. He looked back at me and gave my hand a gentle tug. Alright, I can do this. I repeated that in my head over and over again as we sat down. "Enjoy the ride." The man said, lowering the bar to our torsos. He smiled at me, obviously sensing my discomfort. I tried to smile back, but it was more of a grimace.