Two || Little Bit Later On

»LITTLE BIT LATER ON |

With a frustrated groan I stood up and rested my hands on my sweaty forehead. I glanced at Niki who has been silently watching me. "I'm going to finish this up and then I'll head into town and buy us some more food." I said.

She smiled and then returned back to the house. I stared down at the truck wondering what it was I was doing wrong. I've spent the entire morning trying to get it to start again but nothing was working.

I punched the truck and then cursed once I felt the sharp pain in my hand.

"Brook, why don't you just leave the dang thing alone," Niki said from behind me. I whirled around. Didn't she go back in the house? "I can ask someone in town if they can help us fix it." she continued crossing her arms over her chest. 

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're shittin' me right?" I huffed.

Niki scoffed and dropped her hands to her sides. "I never heard that expression before—but no, I am not shitting you!" 

I rolled my eyes and then looked back at the truck. "I can fix this myself if I just knew what the problem was." I sighed. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and then set the tools down. Maybe she was right, maybe we did need help. I don't think that I could do this on my own. I had been working on this truck for weeks now, taking it apart and putting it back together, but I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. 

"If you change your mind-"

"Fine." I groaned walking away from the truck. I looked down at my shirt to see that it was no longer the pale white I loved, it was full of oil stains and I knew that my face was probably just as bad, if not worse. "I'll go inside and get cleaned up. You get whoever over here to fix this damn truck." I instructed glaring back at the truck. 

I walked into the house, slamming the screen door shut behind me. I made my way into my bedroom and stripped my clothes. Now completely bare, I scurried to the bathroom. I turned on the water waiting for it to get to the right temperature, and then I stepped in. I began scrubbing at my skin, watching the black oil slip from my body and down the drain. After thoroughly washing my face and hair, I decided to shave my legs. I liked my smooth legs and I would like to wear shorts outside since it is a nice day. I could possibly get my tan on! 

Once I was done I turned off the water and opened the curtains. I cringed as the cold air slapped against my damp skin and immediately grabbed for a towel. I wrapped the pink fabric tightly around my body and walked over to the mirror. I wiped away all of the steam and stared at my reflection; I didn't really look like I was up for anything. 

I sighed and picked up my brush. I wish that I could lay in my bed and sleep as if I have nothing to worry about. I snorted as I brushed the tangles out of my hair. I wish.

I walked into my bedroom and began to search through my drawers for something to wear. After I pulled out my desired clothing items I glanced up at the window to make sure the curtains were closed, and they weren't. I rolled my eyes as I walked over to the window. As I was getting ready to close the curtains, I spotted a camouflaged Jeep sitting in the drive way. Must be the person Niki called. 

Yanking the curtains closed, I grabbed some underwear and quickly slipped them on under the towel. I did the same with my bra and let the towel pool at my feet. I then grabbed my cut jean shorts and a black v-neck, slipping the clothing items on. I grabbed the towel from the floor and dried off my hair. 

I walked into the kitchen. Niki was standing at the counter spreading peanut butter on a piece of bread, while occasionally stealing glances out the window.