Four || That's my Kind of Night

»THAT'S MY KIND OF NIGHT |

It was odd how one minute I felt so sad, as if all the happiness had left the world, and then the next I'm smiling and laughing. He made me feel different, I've never felt like this with anyone before. It was a bit comforting.

I slowly opened my eyes, but then quickly closed them again. I grimaced as I swallowed. I still tasted beer and barbecue sauce. Didn't I brush my teeth when I came home? I rolled over onto my back and glanced at my clock next to the bed. It was almost time for me to head to work. I groaned and placed my hand over my eyes.

I hated work with a passion.

I sat up and squinted around my room. I hated when the sun always shone brightly into my bedroom, even when the curtains were closed. I just hated everything in the morning. I threw the blankets off of my body and got out of bed. Yawning loudly, I made my way into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I rubbed my face and forced my eyes open, willing myself not to just slump to the floor and go right back to sleep.

I turned on the sink and washed my hands. I paused when I heard voices. Turning off the water, I listened intently. I heard laughter and immediately knew it was Niki. Has she gone crazy? That's when I heard a male's voice.  I frowned as I dried my hands. I was unsure of who it could be, but it was probably just Jake. 

I grabbed my toothbrush and began to brush my teeth. Niki and Jake continued their mumbling and I couldn't help but get curious as to what they were talking about. I mean, come on. It was my little sister and a boy that liked her. When my curiosity got the best of me, I cracked open the door to hear better. I froze when I realized the voice I heard wasn't Jake's, it was Luke's. 

The sound of his voice alone made my heart begin racing. I quickly closed the door and looked down at my clothes. This is just unacceptable! I quickly finished brushing my teeth, making sure to wipe off the toothpaste in the corners of my mouth. I grabbed the brush and hurriedly brushed my hair so that it looked somewhat presentable. Then I dashed to my room to find something to wear. 

"Brook, what the hell are you doing up there?" I heard Niki call.

"Uh, nothing!" I called pulling on a shirt. "Just getting dressed for work is all, I don't want to be late."

"Don't worry about it, Bee, I'll drive you there!" Jake called. 

What the hell were the both of them doing here? I zipped up my jeans and then grabbed my boots. I trotted down a few steps, but then stopped when I felt an object thumping against my head. I reached up and felt the brush. I rolled my eyes as I took it out. I quickly tossed the brush upstairs and continued walking down the stairs.

Luke and Jake were both standing in the living room eating bagels and drinking beers. I saw Jake's tool box at his feet and I crinkled my eyebrows. Why would he need his tools? "Why are you two here?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest. 

Luke and Jake jerked their heads over to me, both of their mouths full. I gaped at them, waiting for an answer.

Niki came from the kitchen and looked at the situation in front of her. "Oh, I called Jake over to fix the sink," she explained. "And I invited Luke over to have some breakfast with us, if that's alright with you?"

I glanced at Luke and gave a quick nod. I pulled on my boots and quickly escaped outside. I didn't really want to be around Luke right now. I don't exactly know how I feel about him. All of these different emotions were jumbled up in my head and I didn't like it.

I heard the screen door open and slam shut. "What's eatin' you?" I heard Jake ask. 

I turned to face him and shrugged. "It's nothing." I replied. Jake narrowed his eyes at me and I glared at him. "It's nothing, Jake. Just leave it alone." I turned and walked over to my truck.

"Hey, wait." Jake said jogging up to me. "I said that I was going to take you to work, what's the hurry all of a sudden?" he frowned down at me. "Are you mad at me or something?" He asked stepping in front of the door so that I wouldn't get in. I sighed dramatically, making it clear that I was getting annoyed. "I want an answer Brook and don't tell me to stay out of it" Jake said sternly. "You and I both know that's not going to happen." 

"It's got nothing to do with you Jake, you are fine!" I snapped. "I'm not angry with you." I was a little scared to tell him about Luke. I feared that maybe he would tell him and things would get extremely awkward between us. I glanced up at Jake and he was pulling off the dog face. With the bottom lip poking out and everything. I rolled my eyes. Might as well get it over with. "It's just Luke and I were talking yesterday and...well...I kind of like him now." I mumbled, shoving my hands into my back pockets.

Almost immediately a huge grin came over Jake's face. "Aww, little Bee gots a crush on the country boy next door!" he teases. 

"Oh my God," I gasp, slapping my hand over his big mouth. I nervously glance back at the house and then glare back at him. "Would you keep your big mouth shut?" I hissed through clenched teeth, pulling my hand away.

"Okay sugar, I will, but I'm just so happy that you actually like someone!" Jake gushed like a little girl. "I think that you should go for it because you deserve it. He's single and ready to mingle!" He joked.

I tried to remain angry, but I could never stay mad at Jake. I laughed and slapped his shoulder. "It could just be a crush, I just like him and I don't know if he likes me." I shrugged. 

"Want me to ask him?" 

My eyes widened. "You would do that?" I asked smiling.

He mimicked me and then nodded. "There ain't no cocks in that henhouse!" He exclaimed loudly.

What the hell? I raised my hand and he fled over to his truck before I could hit him. I chased him a few laps around his truck before I decided to just give up. 

"What are you two doing out here?" Niki asked walking outside, Luke following behind her. 

"Just preparing for a pig chase!" I remarked sarcastically.

Jake placed a hand over his chest, as if I really wounded him. I only laughed and walked over to the passenger seat of his truck. I would have preferred his Jeep, but he only drives it when he's hunting. Today it was his red truck that he adored so much. I don't see what's so great about it. I don't even like the color red.  

"I'll see you two later!" I waved, smiling at both Luke and Niki. Before I got in the truck and I paused. I suddenly had an idea and I wasn't sure if I should go through with it. I glanced back at Luke and he smiled at me. I took a deep breath, my shoulders rising and falling. "Hey Luke, would you like to come and hang out with Niki and I later?" I asked. "We'll be going to the lake and we could use a few more guests!"

Shock was very evident on Luke's face as his mouth slightly dropped open. But then a huge smile grew across his lips and I found myself grinning with him. "Of course, I'd love to come!" he said.

"Great! See you when I get off work then!" I was in such a great mood all of a sudden, felt like I could take on the world. I got into the truck and shut the door. 

Jake got in afterwards and looked over at me, smiling. "You are just the cutest thing when you're happy!" he laughed.

I laughed with him and rolled my eyes as he started the engine and pulled out of the drive way. I saw Luke wave, that same dazzling smile on his face. I wiggled my fingers and  sighed. I've been smiling so much, my cheeks are hurting.