viii. the fuzzy giant

"OKAY," MELODY SAID NERVOUSLY, sitting on one of the chairs across from him. 

"So, let us begin. First—"

"Wait," Melody interrupted. She slid the fudge flies across his desk, hoping it would make him go easy on her if he was thinking of expelling or something. "Here's the candy you asked for."

Dumbledore blinked, looking bewildered. Melody thought she probably imagined, as he was all smiley again. 

"Ah, thank you, Melody," he said. He opened the lid and picked one up, inspecting it. Melody's eyes widened. He's actually going to eat it?! He popped it in his mouth.

Melody held back a gag. I thought he had a pet toad or something like Neville, but why would you eat flies?! Even if they're carve red in chocolate, ugh, just imagine biting its body and wings... do bugs have blood? Bug juice? Eugh, I can't...

"Thank you," Dumbledore said pleasantly, as if he hadn't just swallowed a bug, and continued on. "I will make it short. Every Wednesday and Friday, from 7 pm - 8:30 pm, please come to my office. I will be giving you private lessons."

"W-What?" Melody stuttered, completely shocked. Private lessons?! From Dumbledore himself? The wizard who defeated Grindelwald, and who was considered a match to Voldy?  "Um, may I ask why, though?"

Dumbledore stroked his bearded, an all-knowing smile appearing in his lips. "There is some very extraordinary magical potential in you, Melody," he said. "Wouldn't it be a waste to just let it go?"

"Me?" Melody asked, her fingers clenching around her wand tighter. "Magical Potential? L-Like what?"

"All will be revealed in due time" Dumbledore replied calmly, his blue eyes twinkling from behind his glasses.

Oi. Stop being so cryptic about it. Are you trying to make me die out of confusion and anticipation?

Dumbledore didn't say anything else, and unwrapped a candy wrapper, popping a lemon drop in his mouth. Melody stared at the wanky old man, wondering if he had anything else to say, or if she should just leave.

"Lemon drop?" he offered.

"Um, sure?" Melody jumped, off-guard.

He handed one to her, and she took with uncertainty. She stared at it, before taking it out of its wrapped and slipping it into her mouth.

Sweetness and a touch of sourness burst in her mouth, fizzling. It was definitely sweet but there was a zing of lemon and enhanced the whole taste. It kind of tasted like lemonade.

Melody glanced at Dumbledore, who say, contentedly sucking his candy. How were his teeth not rotting or something? Wasn't he super old? 

When he didn't say anything else, she shifted on her feet awkwardly. "Um, may I leave?"

He looked up calmly. "Oh, you're still here?" he asked. "Yes, you can leave."

"Yeah, um, bye Professor Dumbledore," she winced at how awkward she sounded, then turned and was about to leave, when Dumbeldore called her back.

"This will be kept a secret from the other students, understood, Miss Socering?" he called, his eyes twinkling (per usual).

"Yes, Professor," Melody nodded, before she hurried out of his office, glaring at the gargoyles as she passed by them.

As soon as she stepped out, her body sagged down as she breathed out a sigh of relief. "That was... unexpected..." she muttered. "I thought I was going to be expelled... I never imagined he called me there to tell me I'd be getting private lessons from Dumbeldore himself..."