i. azkaban

i. azkaban

 azkaban

"MEL. MELODY! LOOK!"

11-year old Melodia Cassiopeia Black looked up, setting down her peacock feathered quill as she neatly closed her golden covered notebook. She looked up at her 18-year old cousin. "Nymphie!" Melody grinned as she threw herself into Tonk's warm embrace. "How's Auror training? You have to tell me everything!"

Tonks grinned. "It's going great!" the pink haired young witch enthused, before tripping over Melody's chair. "Oh! Sorry, Mel!" Melody just laughed, and with a small scrunch of her nose, her silky, softly curled turquoise waves turning into bright bubblegum pink to match her sister's.

"Metamorphmagi rock," Melody said to Tonks, who grinned once more and morphed her nose into a piggy nose. Melody laughed and quickly copied, and the piggy nosed cousins smiled at one another.

"Anyways," Tonks said, waving a letter dramatically, "guess what this is?" Melody perked up, her inquisitive emerald green eyes glimmering. "My letter?" Melody asked excitedly, "It's gotta be my Hogwarts letter! Please please please tell me it is Nymphie!"

Tonks smiled teasingly. "Here, Mel," she said, handing the turquoise haired girl the letter, who eagerly grabbed it and ripped it open. "Oh Nymphie!" Melody exclaimed. "I'm going to Hogwarts!" Tonks embraced her sister once more. "It's great, isn't it?"

Melody hummed excitedly. Tonks' grin faded. "Oh, and Mel...you're going to visit your mother today again," she whispered. Melody's happy demeanor vanished. "I have to go there...again," Melody croaked, eyes widened and fearful, rosy cheeks turning pale at the thought of the prison. Azkaban.

Melody wasn't proud to say that she was indeed the unknown, the secret daughter of Bellatrix Black and Rodolphus Lestrange, although preferred to go by "Black" or, her aliases, "Socering." Pureblood, she was, but her parents were notorious for murdering, torture, and they were death eaters. Melody was adopted by her mother's disowned, but kind sister, Andromeda Tonks and her husband, Ted Tonks, and immediately bonded with them and their mischievous daughter, Nymphadora, who preferred to only be called Tonks (and would likely murder whoever called her otherwise unless it were Melody)

Azkaban...there was no way to describe that prison. It was something Melody would see out of her nightmares. The darkness shrouding it hung over Melody like a blanket, but not a warm black. It was frosty, and wherever the dementors glided, Melody felt like she was being encased in pure ice. Dread, fear, and desperation clouded the dreary atmosphere, and the ear splitting screams of the prisoners were heartbreaking, horrifying. With every scream, was lined with depression, madness, chaos, and Melody felt every vibration through her bones. There was no happiness, anguish and misery erupted into Melody whenever she went there. And she heard screams, cries, cackles in her head. Andy had told her that the first time, Melody had fainted and didn't wake up for days. But Melody was used to it, and besides, Tonks had taught her the Patronus Charm, as advanced as it was, Melody had been determined to never feel the way she had felt in Azkaban and eventually mastered the spell. Her Patronus had been an Arctic fox.