Chapter 23

*Daddy issues*

Galliard is quiet and pensive on the plane ride back to Trost, he's been quiet for the last two days, ever since they buried Sarge-he hadn't wanted Reiner's help, had tried to chase him away but not very hard, and they'd ended up burying the dog together-but this is a new level of silence and moodiness, and Reiner is glad when, once they're in the air, Galliard nods off on his shoulder.

Reiner shifts around to make sure he's comfortable and won't wake up with a strained neck, then stares out the window, watching but not really seeing anything as the middle of the country streams away beneath him. He'd known that things were going to change after going to Liberio, but he hadn't realized exactly how much.

~*~

"I have something to tell you, Porco."

Galliard glances up from his plate, where he'd been almost dozing. Digging a hole deep enough to satisfy his standards had been a grueling ordeal, and after getting back from the cemetery, he'd taken a shower and crashed out. Reiner had been a gentlemen and let him shower first, then cleaned himself off; by the time he'd padded into their shared bedroom, Galliard was sound asleep on Reiner's bed. Reiner had napped in the other one, and woken up a few hours later to Galliard sprawled on top of him, drooling on his chest. There'd been something achingly familiar about that, and Reiner had let him sleep for another half hour before waking him up. Galliard had perked up a little for dinner, but now that he's full, he's starting to sink back towards sleep again.

Erwin looks solemn across the table, and Mike reaches out to take one of his hands. Reiner lifts an eyebrow; Erwin is one of the strongest people he's ever met, and if he needs support for this, it must be something serious. He clears his throat.

"Should I excuse myself?"

"No, Reiner, that won't be necessary." Erwin favors Reiner with a smile. "This is something that could affect you too."

That catches Galliard's attention, and he sits up straighter, glancing at Reiner and then putting his fork down. "What's going on?"

Erwin sighs, and for a moment, looks older and more tired than Reiner has ever seen him, very much a man on the downward slope of life, just starting to be past his prime. Mike squeezes his hand, the muscles in his forearm rippling, and Erwin gives himself a little shake before beginning to speak.

"Your brother died in combat..."

"I know." Galliard's voice is tight and bitter. "I remember that phone call telling me about it very well."

"I'm sure you do." Erwin sighs again. "When a soldier falls in combat, they get a settlement from the government. A way of thanking them for their service. It normally goes to their spouse, but Marcel wasn't married, so..."

"So it went to Daddy." Galliard is radiating tension and misery from every pore, and Reiner touches the back of his hand, only to have his pushed away. "And he spent all of it on booze and hillbilly shit and now it's all gone. Why're  you telling me this?"

"Because it didn't go to your daddy, Porco." Erwin meets Galliard's eyes, and there's a certain quiet dignity in his gaze that Reiner knows he'll be spending the rest of his life trying to emulate. "Marcel filled out a form to have it go to you."