Locals

Aspen had stepped outside of the circus tent for the first time since they had arrived in Hallownest and looked around.  His memory of this place didn't match with what he saw; the wrecked bridge leading towards the Howling Cliffs, the little hustle and bustle of the town of Dirtmouth...all of it was gone.  He could see a single person standing in the square, their gaze shifting to the tent before looking away.  Aspen supposed it would be okay to go and talk with the people of Dirtmouth as they would be staying nearby for who knows how long.  

     "How are you doing my good sir?" he asked, offering a thin hand to the old man.  Tentatively the old bug took his hand and shook it.

     "I'm not sure," he wheezed.  "This town was rather quiet before that little creature stepped through here...and now you and your colleagues have shown up mysteriously.  There is something I don't like about your little circus...but I don't know what it is...."  Aspen had not expected a friendly welcome from the old man, very few people welcomed the troupe when they showed up but they were used to it.  "But I suppose you should enjoy your time here...I just advise you not go down into the depths below...many bugs have lost their lives down in the kingdom beneath us."

      "It is strange to think of the fate of this great kingdom," Aspen offered, walking away.  "It was such a marvelous place to live...."  Aspen noticed only a few doors were open; two appeared to be shops, another a home, and the last the stag station.  Signs directing the people to the tent were set up around the town but it didn't look like anyone had taken the opportunity to witness the show.  Walking into the farthest shop, he bent in to find a woman standing behind the counter.  He was hunched kind of low due to the low ceiling and Aspen had to bend down even further.

     "Hello," she greeted, sounding a little disinterested.  "Would you like to buy a map?"

     "A map?" Aspen inquired, thoughts racing through his mind.  A full map of the territories of Hallownest...even after the kingdom fell to ruin.  What a beautiful thought.  "How much?"

     "One-hundred twenty geo each for separate maps," she explained.  "One thousand eighty for a full map of the whole kingdom."  Aspen gave her the geo for a full map which she seemed surprised to get.  "I didn't expect someone to have that much geo on hand...who are you?"

     "Aspen, magician of the Grimm Troupe," Aspen introduced himself, tipping his hat to her.  "We have been on the other side of town for a few days, waiting for the right time for a...special performance."  Aspen knew better than to share the details of the ritual with someone who didn't light the nightmare lantern.  "We perform acts fairly regularly if you would like to watch our show Ms...."

     "Please, call me Iselda," she offered.  "And I'm sure when my husband gets back he'd love to witness your performance...."  Aspen tipped his hat again as he left, unfurling the rather large map and staring into it deeply.  His eyes traced over the areas he explored as a boy and into later adulthood; Crystal Peak, Fungal Wastes, Deepnest...Fog Canyon.  He noticed a building noted near the center of Fog Canyon and became lost in memory of study under Monomon.

     "Excuse me?" The little squeak of a voice came from down below, ripping Aspen from his thoughts as he looked down at a beetle who, while small to Aspen, must have larger to other bugs.  "Are you...are you new here?"

     "Yes," he answered.  "I arrived with the Grimm Troupe just over there."  Her eyes turned to the direction of his outstretched finger towards the tents.  "We usually put on shows every other day to keep our crowd entertained during our stay.  You should come and watch us perform great feats of skill...unless you're scared of us."  The beetle shuddered a little which told Aspen all he needed to know.  She was timid, shy and unsure of herself.  

     "I like it where it's quieter, I think," she mumbled.  "I hope you all enjoy your stay.  I'm Bretta."  Aspen tipped his hat to her before she shuffled off back to her house.  Aspen remembered this town before the infection hit the kingdom hard and was shocked to see what it had whittled down to...had everything really been as bad as he feared?  His gaze turned to the direction of the well...wondering if he should go exploring before the summoner showed themselves.