The Nightmare

Aspen woke up in a bizarrely familiar place, everything tinted the red of the Troupe.  He normal cape had been replaced by red robes, to which he put his hands in his sleeves and walked.  He knew what this was as it had happened the last time a Grimmchild had been been born, but the sense of unease was still strong.  Regardless of whether this had happened before or not, the feeling of fear and dread surrounding this place was evident through the dark haze of red smoke.  Nevertheless, he continued on, not even noticing as the tent walls gave way to stone with thick patchwork-looking veins broke through the ground.

     He calmly followed the path, keeping his eyes forward as people came into view, clad in scarlet robes with their eyes burning a bright red.  The greatest secret of the troupe lay here in the realm of dream...the master even Grimm obeyed.  The rhythmic thumping of a heartbeat began to grow louder, Aspen's own pulse beginning to beat in time with it as he reached an open chamber.  A giant heart sat a little ways away from Aspen, veins holding it aloft in the cavern as it beat.

     "I know not why the Heart has summoned me into its realm," Aspen began, kneeling and bowing subserviently.  "But I accept the honor of the call.  What is it that you wish to tell me, Nightmare King?"  The light of red fire flashed into existence for a second but vanished as soon as it had come.  

     "Rise, Magician," a voice commanded.  Aspen did as he was bidden, looking up to see the form of the speaker.  It looked like Grimm but Aspen knew better.  Rather than being draped in black, the Nightmare King was draped in a red which could only be described as the same shade as freshly spilt blood.  Even his head was tinted a bright fiery red instead of the dusky black Aspen knew more commonly.  "You say you do not understand why I have called you into my realm...and yet I sense something inside of you."  The voice was deep and sounded as if many people were speaking, but it still sounded as if the Troupe Master were speaking.

     "It is the willingness to understand, Master," Aspen supplied.  "It is a rare honor to stand in the presence of the Heart."  There was no point in flattering the Nightmare King, but it appreciated the groveling.  After all...the Cult of the Nightmare Heart was devoted to the controlling of others to join into the cult.  

     "You have seen the child," Grimm stated.  "And you understand that your role has been recast from the last ritual you witnessed...."  Aspen nodded.  "You serve the Heart unwaveringly, even back in your home where you listened to our call and joined the Troupe, soon understanding what we are about...."  Aspen now looked in mild confusion at the Nightmare King, unsure of where this was going.  "But this is not about you...but about Brumm...."

     "Brumm?" Aspen inquired.  "If you wished to talk to someone about Brumm, why myself and not him?"  The scarlet eyes of his master bored into Aspen's, causing him to look down.  "I am sorry, Master.  I spoke out of turn...please, tell me what this has to do with Brumm?"  The Nightmare King turned around, looking back to the Heart.

     "His will is going to take control of him," he answered.  "His sense of kindness will cause him to desire to leave the Troupe and stop the Ritual from coming to fruition in Hallownest.  He will believe it desecration of the dead...and yet he aided in the collection of the scarlet fire from living kingdoms...."  Aspen now understood why he had been called into the nightmare, and perhaps understood what his Master was asking of him.

     "You want me to make sure the Ritual is completed," Aspen guessed.  The Nightmare King didn't turn around and didn't say anything.  "And do whatever is necessary to stop Brumm was stopping it...perhaps influence the summoner to continue if he tries to get them to stop...."

     "The summoner will not be easily swayed either way," Grimm said at last.  "They are hollow...unfeeling...empty.  Much like the Grimmchild is a vessel for the flame, this vessel and its kind were meant to contain something...the Light Forgotten...."  Aspen shuddered with his own memory of the creature his master spoke of...a horrible dream for petty reasons sealed away but not forever...that much was obvious.  "Kill Brumm if you must but make sure the ritual is complete...."

     "Yes, my Master," Aspen bowed.  His vision of the cavern faded as his eyes slowly opened to the sight of his room, staring at the roof of his canopied bed.  It would be difficult to fight with Brumm but his loyalty to the Nightmare Heart was stronger than his doubt.  He wouldn't kill Brumm until the time was right...no sense in killing him before he has done his part in the Ritual...unless another Grimmkin would step up to take his place...no...he must collect the fire for the Heart...then he can become useless to Grimm.