41

"You know, I'm starting to think Bri was onto something when she said she didn't want to live like this anymore." Sam complained.

He looked around the outdated motel room and munched on some Cheetos he had gotten from the almost broken vending machine. 

"We can't just stay in a five-star resort when we are quite literally running from the law." Steve folded a few of his shirts and packed them into his duffle bag.

Steve felt about the same as Sam. 

After leaving Wakanda, Steve had a rude awakening ahead of him. No one was there to courteously buy his meal, or even offer him a smile.

He had turned to a more rugged look to escape the image that New York had made of him, and vowed to himself to protect the people he had left in his life.

Traveling was difficult because public transportation was out of question and stealing cars was pretty unethical in their minds, even though Steve had indeed stolen multiple cars before.

The motels were okay at first, but became an inconvenience as they didn't have money for laundry and could not keep fresh and healthy food on them when they traveled.

Sam often complained about being bloated from the junk food he consumed and Steve was almost on that same route. 

Steve made do with the granola bars and stale chips that cost less than a dollar for obvious reasons, but he forced himself to get into a different routine during the obstacles.

He didn't really have to wear the Cap suit much. Steve stuck to more t-shirts and tactical pants when infiltrating a new base they had heard about. It was much easier than walking in dressed in red, white, and blue but it was much harder to maintain his cleanliness.

Plus, the suit was starting to tear in places and he hoped that he could avoid splitting his pants. 

Wanda had been dropped off at the location they had all agreed on, and Vision agreed to keep their missions quiet if he could at least help keep them safe.

Vision planned routes and stops for emergencies while Wanda worked on more of the intel side to determine if there were any possible threats along the way.

The two were finally getting what they wanted. Living together was easy for them because they played off of each other's strengths.

Kind of like Bri and Bucky.

Out of all the things Sam and Steve could have imagined happening to them after taking off, they didn't know they would literally be doing laundry in the tub of the scary bathroom at a motel in the middle of no where.

They didn't know how much they had taken the washing machines at the compound for granted until now.

The money they did have came from the actual embezzlement that Vision and Natasha collaborated on. It wasn't considered stealing if it was from a fund that they all normally used. Tony had changed the name from the Avengers Fund to a private account, resulting in the collaboration previously mentioned in order to discreetly move money around to their benefit.

And apparently Tony had enough of it that he didn't even notice. 

"Steve, I witnessed you drop a pair of socks in the toilet." Sam rose a brow. "And our dinner is beef jerky and chips with a side of despair."

"You know, I'm starting to think Bri was onto something when she said you were the most dramatic person ever." Steve mocked, watching Sam lick the cheese dust from his fingers. "It is going to get better eventually."

"I'm on the third day of wearing this shirt, so we are both going to be feeling the consequences soon."

The two sat in silence, the occasional crunch of a cheese dust covered chip echoing through the small room.