Chapter One

Fatal Attraction

Chapter One

Honey, promise me that you'll be good.

Mummy? Where are you? Please show yourself! Mummy!

I'm sorry my baby, I love you.

She jolted up in bed panting heavily, her eyes filled with terror. She looked all around in the unfamiliar setting, cowering into a corner of the four poster bed, grabbing onto her sweat-drenched comforter, afraid. The moonlight streamed in through the window, rendering the room with an ominous feel that added to her fear.

✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦

"Oh, you're awake!" Her aunt, Hailey, greeted as she made her way down the spiral stairs crafted entirely out of glass. "I hope you had a good night's sleep. Come over and join us for breakfast," she spoke, laying down the last plate of bacon and eggs.

"Thanks, but I think I'll grab something on my way to school," she grabbed her backpack, heading towards the towering oak double doors.

"Isn't it a little too early for school?"

She let out a silent sigh before turning to face her aunt's family at the dining table. "I would like to familiarise myself with the school's compound," she answered, keeping her eyes locked onto her feet.

"Well, I'm sure Jeremy will be more than happy to bring you around campus, am I right son?" Uncle Benedict spoke out this time, his aged grey eyes boring into his son's azure ones, challenging him to defy his order.

"No no, you don't have to. I can make it to school on my own just fine," she stated, crossing her fingers behind her back. 

"I'll be more than happy to, I'm done with breakfast anyway," Jeremy ran his hand through his short choppy dark hair, with uneven edges sweeping along his cheekbones that framed his face, before snatching the keys to his car off the coffee table. "Come on, let's go."

She groaned inwardly, tagging behind Jeremy to her ride to school. She loathes the idea of having people around her, and absolutely detests speaking to them. She tried keeping her distance, but it never seemed to work.

A mumbled ‘wow’ escaped her mouth as she followed Jeremy through the Kingston’s backyard. Right smack in the middle was an infinity pool with crystal clear water where cozy beach chairs lined along it. The lush green lawn further ahead was littered with bush trimmings of life-sized animals surrounded by intricately placed white picket fences. There was a greenhouse even, with an assortment of floral made visible by the glass panels.

Jeremy walked up to a spacious one-level building that resembled a garage, with four frosted glass panels shielding the eyes from what lies behind them.

 “Jeremy Kingston,” he stated as he stood before the third panel from the right.

“Welcome Jeremy,” an automated voice sounded and up went the frosted panel, revealing a glossy midnight blue BMW convertible, a gift from his dad for his applaudable results last month.

“Frosted glass panel? Is it tough enough to keep out robbers?” She questioned, her head tilting to the left unconsciously.

“These are voice automated; an inaccurate voice match or a force upon the panels will bring down four thick layers of titanium shield around the car almost instantaneously. Even if they do manage to break through the panels and are able to run fast enough past the titanium shields to our vehicles, they won’t be able to get out,” he explained before revving up the engine to his car. "So, you seemed really eager about school huh?" He queried as he drove his car out of the garage and into the streets bustling with other vehicles on a bright sunny morning.