Dinner Party

For this chapter, D/C means dress clothes bc we stan gender neutral Y/N -author

"Y/N! Somebody at the door wants you!" Elizabeth yelled from downstairs.
"It's 7:00 am, can't I just sleep a little?" I sighed as I walked down to open the door.
"Hi! Are you Y/N?" A woman with light brown hair said. I recognized her from when Sam and I hung out. It's his mom.
"Yeah, what's up?" I said, "Pardon my manners, I'm a little tired."
"Oh no, you're fine, my name is Jodi," she replied. "I've seen you hanging out with Sam, and you two seemed like you are good friends, so I'm inviting you to dinner."
"Alright, what time?" I asked groggily.
"7:00 pm should be good, of course, you can come earlier. Do you mind bringing a largemouth bass? I'm going to need it for my casserole," Jodi said.
"Okay, I'll see you then," I noted and closed the door behind her. I was being invited to Sam's house. For dinner.
"Y/N this is your first dinner party, you have to put on something nice, and clean yourself up" Elizabeth coached.
"Why can't I just wear what I usually wear?" I asked.
"Because that's not good enough!" She shrieked, "You need to look presentable in front of your super cute boyfriend's parents!"
"We. Are. Not. Dating!" I yelled.
"Well you might as well be," Elizabeth said under her breath.
"You were saying?!" I asked.
"You might as well be!" She repeated, "I'm not the only one who's noticed that you guys hang out a lot."
"Whatever, we're just friends," I sighed. "I'm taking a walk."
I left the hallway and went outside to get some fresh air. It was humid today, I hate humidity, it makes my hair go crazy. I wonder why I have to bring the food. Jodi's the one who invited me. Weird.
I ended up taking a nap for a good few hours. It felt like a couple minutes. Somebody tapped my shoulder.
"Hey, wake up sleepy," The shadow asked. It was Sam, no doubt.
"You woke me up, Sam," I complained as I opened my eyes.
"My bad," He said sheepishly, "You looked really peaceful, so naturally, I ruined it on purpose."
The teasing was back. "Thanks for being considerate," I replied sarcastically as I got up. "You are such a great friend."
"I know," Sam flaunted, "Anyway, was the invitation awkward? My mom wanted to invite you over for dinner. I told her I'd do it myself, but she refused and said she would do it."
"It was fine, not the worst invitation I've had form somebody's parents," I replied.
"Was it the drummer dude from ZuZu city?" He asked.
"How did you guess?" I mocked. "I haven't dated anyone else soooooo, yeah."
"Was the relationship bad?"
"Not particularly, we ended it on a mutual agreement."
"Oh, well that's good I guess."
"Yeah, you could say so," I said, "I've got to get home so I can change, what should I wear?"
"My mom will probably make me wear a suit," Sam replied, "But wear whatever you want."
"Thanks for input, Skater Boy, very helpful," I teased.
"Wait till you see me," he shot back, "I'm gonna look so good in a suit, you won't believe it!"
"Yeah, right," I said, "See you in a few."
"Back at you," Sam replied, using finger guns. What a dork.
I walked home and took a shower before Liz noticed. She was probably at Pierre's or something. I threw on some D/C on that I found in my closet, they were the nicest things I owned, and I have a mother to impress.
"Y/N!" Shit, Liz was here, "WHERE WERE YOU?!"
"I was walking and I took a nap, that's it," I sighed.
"I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" She yelled. "AND YOU HAVE A DINNER PARTY AND YOU LOOK LIKE A SLOB!"
"SHUT UP LIZ YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TOLD ME TO LOOK NICE!" I yelled back.
"You do look nice for once," She said.
"I look nice all the time!" I whined.
"Sure, you do," She rolled her eyes, "Now then, MAKE YOUR BOYFRIEND'S MOM PROUD! AND DON'T FORGET THE FISH!"
"We aren't dating!" I repeated. Liz did have a point though, he was pretty cute, even if he's a dork. I walked into town and arrived at 1 Willow Lane. I rang the doorbell.
"Oh, Y/N! Come in!" Jodi exclaimed as she opened the door. "You look great!"
"Thanks," I replied.
"Well, well, well, if it isn't Y/N L/N," Sam announced, standing in his doorway. He was right, he did look good in a suit. His blond hair was pulled back into a ponytail.
"The one and only," I replied.
"Y/N!" Vincent ran out of his room and jumped into my arms.
"Hi Vince!" I smiled. He looked super happy to see me.
"I see your brother is beating you, Sam," Jodi observed, "At this rate those two will be married by the end of the season!"
"Mom!" Sam exclaimed, clearly embarrassed. Jodi winked at me.
"How about you two hang out for a bit in Sam's room, while I make dinner," she said, "Thanks for the fish Y/N."
"No problem," I replied. I walked into his room. I noticed a folder labeled "Song Ideas".
"Sam, what's this?" I asked.
"Oh it's nothing!" He said as he scrambled to shove the folder in his desk.
"Y'know, you're kind of a dork sometimes," I stated.
"Maybe I like it that way, Y/N," Sam pouted as he motioned me to sit next to him, "My mom wasn't kidding, you look great."
"Thanks, I could say the same about you," I winked. As I did that, his face flushed red. I laughed.
We talked about the community center. I had told him that I was stealing Elizabeth's gatherings, and had completed some of the bundles.
"Wow, this is a full-on operation at your place, isn't it?" Sam marveled.
"At this point, yeah," I replied.
"Hey, Y/N," He suddenly got very serious, "I have something to tell you."
"Shoot," I said.
"Well I-"
"You guys, dinner's ready!" Jodi called from the kitchen.
"Tell me later okay?" I asked. Sam nodded.
When we got to the table, it was already set, and all of the food was there. We all started to eat.
"Wow Jodi, this is really good food!" I remarked as I wolfed down what was on my plate. Sam was doing the same.
"I'm glad you like it, Y/N," Jodi replied, "So, are you and Sam dating by any chance?"
Sam choked on his food and we both turned beet red.
"No ma'am," I stuttered.
"Are you sure?" She persisted, "Because Sam has mentioned-"
"Positive!" Sam interjected. Jodi laughed.
We sat for another 30 minutes, talking about what it was like on the farm and if I was getting along with people in town. We cleared the table and I left. Sam had ran to catch up to me.
"Hey! I am so sorry if that was awkward," he apologized.
"It's honestly fine, I don't really care," I replied, "Plus, you're kind of cute when you're embarrassed."
"R-really?" He was turning red again.
"You're doing it again," I teased, "but in all seriousness, I had a good time!"
"Well that's a relief," Sam sighed and scratched his neck.
"So what did you want to tell me?" I asked.
"Oh, it's nothing!" He said, "Just some thoughts."
"Hmmmmm," I pondered, "Alright, if you say so..."
"Ok bye Y/N!" He smiled.
That was weird.

Sam: ❤️❤️❤️❤️💔🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤