sniper x reader

cw: language

can't find any fanart for sniper ): underrated bastard

ty peach_mulk for the req ~. i think from now on i'll just attach a comment with the rest of my a/n to this paragraph so you can just get to the oneshot already and/or check the comments if you feel like reading the rest.

ah actually i have a small thing to clarify in the comments for anyone who has made or plans on making a req (^:

ehh i need to work on sniper's character. bear with me, guys. ahaha... help

-

"Ready?"

"Ehm, I think so."

"Where's the fuckin' confidence, (Y/N)? This is fuckin' war! We don't have time to dick around."

"Yeah, yeah, fine, I got this."

"That's more like it."

"But I'll beat your ass up if you laugh. You know I've never done this before."

A mocking chuckle. "If you can't do this, I don't think I should be worried about my ass getting beat."

With an exasperated sigh, and an amused grin, you adjust your sniper on the ledge of the window as Sniper continues to laugh at his own joke. He thought it would be a good idea to get you out of the base for once and practice away from the rest of the team, so here you were, on the top floor of an abandoned building, his sniper in hand, aiming for an empty pint glass he'd placed far from said building on the way.

You weren't a part of the team yet-- still in training. One of the soldiers happened to find you hiding in a secluded area in the middle of nowhere, and, seeing as you weren't associated with any of the enemy parties, offered to take you back to the base for the captain to evaluate. Wanting something more than hiding while the war persists for who knows how long, you accept the offer, and soon enough, you're able to start training by the next day.

It's been about a month or so, and you found yourself befriending Sniper-- rather, Sniper goes out of his way to find you on days lacking activity within the base and briefly greet you before embarking on one of his interesting anecdotes. Although it's all he seems to do, you appreciate his company, especially considering you were new, and he was one of the more skilled of the troops.

So, what better than to try your hand at a gun for the first time with not only a friend, but also one of the most competent members of the team?

With an uncertain but steady hand, you lower your head and squint as you aim towards the miniature target. After letting out a soft exhale, which helps you calm at least a fraction of your tension, you pull the trigger and instinctively squint your eyes shut, recoiling a bit from the force of the shot.

After a few moments or so, you slowly open your eyes and lean forward, a bit out the window, to settle your gaze upon the undisturbed glass. You let out an abrupt exhale, disheartened from the outcome.

"What, are you gonna beat your own ass up now?" Sniper sidles up to you, planting a firm glove on your shoulder as he rests his eyes on you. The tension you had quickly returns, and you jolt a bit in surprise.

Before you can express a retort, he tilts his head to one side and says, "This shit doesn't come easy for everyone, you hear me?" You still in response, startled by his sudden genuine tone.

"It's not the end of the fuckin' world if you can't get it on the first try. You just need practice. Not everyone can automatically become fuckin' war machines." Then he points his other hand to himself and smirks. "Unless you're me. Damn, you should've seen me on the first day. Showed up those fuckin' pricks who tried me when I was new, when they were the ones treating this shit like a fuckin' playground." You roll your eyes with a smile, and shake him off.

"Yeah, okay. But thanks." Your cheeks flush a bit from having to actively voice out your gratitude, but also in pleasant surprise for his bizarre, albeit mild, change of attitude.

"Well, get back on that window then. Fuckin' glass won't shoot itself." He ponders for a moment, then nods. "Nah, who the fuck am I kidding. It fuckin' would. If I were a useless pint in this shitty world, I'd have been gone by now."

Although you're facing away from him, you scrunch up your face as it contorts into an expression of confusion-- and slight mirth-- at his random comment, before placing the sniper back at the window's ledge and taking aim once more. Still feeling pressured from your previous failure, you can't help but tense up again, perturbed over the thought of another miss. You try to steady your breathing and avoid letting your hands shake, with minimal success.

Suddenly, firm hands grasp your shoulders, and your heart jumps. Quickly, you turn your head to Sniper, who's looking at you with an unreadable expression.

"Fucking... calm down will you? Yeesh." You notice the fleeting smirk on his face as he inches closer to you and settles his hands over yours, somewhat taking control of the gun and helping with the aim. Your cheeks scorch from the contact, and you try your hardest to not let your body betray you by tensing up even more under his touch.

With a calm exhale, you slowly grow accustomed to the large hands guiding your own. Half focused on the can and half focused on the contact, you almost miss the small tip he gives on how to improve the aim, but you adjust accordingly.

Once you notice the pressure on your hands lighten, you keep your eyes on the pint, but you feel like glancing at him for the okay.

As if he read your mind, he gives your hands a few light, reassuring pats. You nod, and squeeze your lips together as you fire another shot.

Your eyes bat open faster when you hear the distant shattering of glass, and the pint is nowhere in sight.

You sigh in relief. "Damn. I got it."

"Fuck yeah." At his comment, you lift your head and turn back to Sniper with a satisfied grin. Though, you remember the current circumstances and look back at his gloves still wrapped around yours.

"Um," is all you can get out, as the burning feeling in your cheeks returns. Somehow just now realizing, Sniper abruptly lets go of your hands and subconsciously rubs a hand behind his neck, chuckling, his eyes darting away from you. "My bad."

Then he gives a wholehearted grin and pats your head. You scrunch up your brows in annoyance at first, feeling like a child being praised, but the feeling quickly goes away and you grin with pride at receiving approval from the sharpest sniper on the team.

"Up for something a bit farther?" He suggests with a challenging grin, and it's your turn to cock your head to the side with an intrigued smirk.

"What did you have in mind, sir?" You reply.

"Why don't we pay a friendly visit to our enemy's base and find out?"

-

help

tankmen oneshotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें