captain x reader

cw: language

ty Tankmanswife for the req <3

a/n comment

"Good morning, Captain."

"Well hey there, sunshine. Aren't you the early bird?"

"Couldn't get much sleep, sir. I'm sorry. Should I start getting up with everyone else?"

"Don't see a problem with seizing the day early. Besides, I could use some company. Get over here, soldier."

Captain gestures to the bench on the other side of the table with his free hand and, with a slightly flushed expression, you meekly settle into your designated seat.

It's become a particularly normal routine for you at this point, but you simply couldn't sleep at all last night. Just another one of those midnight existential crises.

After getting not even a wink of rest, you decided to get out of your quarters and get some fresh air to make up for all the uneasiness you've been feeling as of late. The cafeteria lay between the quarters and one of the structure's exits, and your stomach, like the rest of your aching body, had been so earnestly craving for at least the slightest bit of relief. Though you weren't sure how to deal with the rest of your sore organs, you thought it would be convenient to pass through the cafeteria and scavenge for a light snack before heading outside.

Instead, at the entrance, you just so happened to spot Captain there before you, seated at one of the tables-- and unluckily for you, facing the doors you were about to enter-- and sipping from a cracked mug. His helmet lay on the table, giving you another one of the few rare instances of seeing your leader without his helmet.

Your steps faltered for a moment in mild surprise, and you swallowed. You almost didn't realize that you had spaced out, studying his bizarrely-attractive facial features from behind the small window of the cafeteria door, but you roughly patted your cheeks in embarrassment when you did, to snap you back to reality. It wasn't often that you could see him without the helmet and, and considering the only times you have were when no one else was around, like now, you figured he probably preferred his privacy over these things, so you internally scolded yourself for momentarily forgetting to respect that.

Still, it wouldn't have been as difficult was he not so god-awfully hot.

After a spike of pain in your stomach, though, you let out a nervous sigh and sucked up your mental turmoil before gently pushing one of the cafeteria doors open.

Upon entering the cafeteria, you noticed Captain's head perk up and he plastered a more-or-less friendly smirk on his face, and, out of instinctive respect, you nodded your head at him in acknowledgement and approached him, gulping down your inner embarrassment.

Once you were close enough to be able to, you eyed the cup again and were able to make out the pink text printed on the mug, which read "Best Mom". In slight bewilderment, you chuckled quietly, your mood lifting just a bit, before greeting him.

Now you were seated on the bench directly across from him. The table was only two feet wide, diminishing any hopes of preventing any further tension you were currently feeling.

You sit in silence, absentmindedly drawing circles on the table with your gloved finger, praying your stomach wouldn't interrupt at the worst moment.

"What's gotten your panties in a bunch, soldier?" Captain speaks up first. You can hear that almost annoying grin through his words, and your face further flushes.

You're, miraculously, able to bring your gaze back up to lock with his-- well, he would get a vague idea, at least, since you're wearing your helmet-- as you reply, "Nothing out of the ordinary, sir. My sleep schedule's just... screwed up." A soft wave of relief sweeps through you when, looking at him, he doesn't seem uncomfortable-- for that matter, you realized he hadn't made to put his helmet back on in the first place when you had walked in.

"Well, what could you possibly be doing at night that keeps you up?" His smirk grows ever-so-slightly wider.

You roll your eyes with a light smile. "Hell if I know, sir."

His deep chuckle makes you feel like melting. "You should get that checked up. Need a medic?"

"Thank you sir, but I'm no child. I could go myself." Your cheeks grow warmer at his thoughtfulness nonetheless.

"Just tryna lend a helping hand, sunshine." A small pause ensues before he continues, in a slightly hesitant, hushed tone this time, "I mean, there's no harm in asking me either."

The subtle offer, along with his sudden change in attitude, makes a small grin tug at the corners of your lips. "I'll keep that in mind, sir. Thanks."

You shift your hands to rest under your chin and uncover your face to give him an appreciative smile, to which he nods briskly and turns his head away to take another sip from his mug. You can't help but smile bashfully when you get a brief glance at the dusted blush on his cheeks before he covers it up by placing a cheek on one hand and planting his elbow on the table as well, and you suppress a soft giggle.

Your moment of mirth quickly ends, however, when your stomach lets out an almost angry grumble. You wince, scrunching your face in both pain and embarrassment, quickly looking down at and clutching your stomach.

You hear the other snicker. Then a pause, as if one were coming up with a joke to add onto the humiliation.

After a few moments, though, you hear, "Coffee?"

(Or, conveniently, whatever beverage you prefer, if coffee isn't to your liking.)

Looking up, you see Captain holding up his half-full mug towards you. Flustered, you stand still for some moments before hesitantly reaching out and gently taking hold of the mug, gazing down at it and turning it over a few times, inspecting the cracks and the worn out, pink print.

You open your mouth to voice your thanks when he quietly stands and slides out of the bench, heading to a door and exiting through it, leaving you alone in the cafeteria. You cock your head to the side in bewilderment at the sudden action.

You watch the door for some seconds before it opens again, and Captain emerges with a handful of foodstuffs. Your eyes follow him returning to the table for a few moments before your face heats up from the sudden realization of his consideration.

As he lays his finds out on the table in front of you, you fidget with the cup in your hands. "You didn't have to do all this."

"Tsk, what corporal would I be if I didn't give a shit about my team?" He drawls, almost sarcastically.

"No offense, sir, but you act like you only give a shit about Steve," you retort with a chortle.

He gives you a look of bewilderment, and slight disgust. "Do I?" Your look of doubt answers him.

"Well, I... give a shit about you too, then," he comments boldly after a pause, splaying out his hands in a friendly gesture.

You can't tell if it's a joke, but your face flushes anyway.

You then slowly glance around at your given options. Quietly taking your pick and gathering them in front of you, you remove your helmet, place it next to you on the bench, and start with a small sip of your beverage before digging in.

After a few bites, and a huge wave of relief and satisfaction crashing over you, you don't take your gaze off the food in your hand as you exclaim, "Thank you."

"My pleasure, sunshine." You look up to Captain's familiar, bashful expression, now accompanied with an affectionate grin, and you smile shyly yourself. At that, Captain grabs an item close to him and joins you in your breakfasting.

,˙ᵕ˙,