captain x steve

cw: language

greetings. some of ya'll wanted a part 2 to the "cuddling" oneshot so it has arrived

a/n comment here [:

not sure how to feel about this one uhh we'll see

-

Captain blinks lethargically as his consciousness starts to return. Despite feeling groggy as hell, he-- though he would only admit it over his dead body-- felt oddly refreshed from their shared period of rest. How long the nap had been, who the hell knows, but it was now well past when the sun had set.

Once he's finally able to maintain his gaze without his eyelids drooping, his eyes fall on Steve, still peacefully asleep. With more awareness, his mind skims with more detail the events of the previous hours, and, remembering their current, intimate circumstances, Captain feels the faint glow of warmth spread across his face.

With a tired, blank-- that's a lie, he's flustered as all hell-- expression, Captain's eyes gloss over Steve's countenance. Though he no longer felt like falling back asleep, he felt much more at ease with the sight of the tranquil soldier.

Though he's aware there are no eyes on him, a feeling of bashfulness overcomes him when he lets his gaze fall onto Steve's goggles, scanning his own reflection. Thinking about it now, was it wrong? To watch over his sleeping, platonic partner in such an endearing manner?

Was it even platonic? What the hell even were they anymore?

As a way to keep himself from further bitching about his inner desires, he decides to wake up the napping soldier. He lifts up his head, and raises the arm resting on the dry earth to place his elbow on the floor and his head on his hand. Then, he gently lifts the arm wrapped around Steve to give the other soldier light taps on his shoulder.

Captain clears his throat to rid of the waking raspiness, then mutters, "Hey, sleeping beauty."

"..."

He blinks his eyes closed in frustration, then tries again.

"Steve." The soldier doesn't budge. Still sound asleep like a damn baby.

Captain turns his head to the sky and rolls his eyes. With a displeased groan, he quietly calls, "God... whoever the hell is up there... Wake his ass up, please..."

Met with silence once more, Captain then focuses on the sky itself. It was darker out than he'd realized-- nearly pitch black--, but he noticed the sky was littered with stars.

Captain normally spared no time for sentimentality, but his mind grew calm at the act of focusing on something as simple as the stars above. It had been quite some time since he'd gone out to actually pay any attention to them.

The leader turns to lie on his back for a more comfortable position, and crosses his arms behind his head as he looks up into the abyss of stars.

He lets out a more-or-less contented sigh as he turns his head back to the other, still-asleep soldier, wondering how the other would react to such a captivating sight. His eyes can't help but roam over Steve's features once more, and he sighs again to himself, that familiar glow burning with a tad more intensity at the mere act of looking at the other.

Captain lets out an almost dispirited sigh this time. "Goddamnit, Steve.. what're you doin' to me..."

"Whaddya mean, Cap?"

Captain blinks with wide eyes in surprise. Though he was thankful he hadn't jumped, he had definitely felt his heart nearly bounce out of his chest. How long has this bastard been awake for?