Brokenhearted Memories

⚠️Trigger Warnings: severe homophobia, death, sadness, graphic gore, whips, wwii setting, PTSD flashbacks⚠️
Characters: Gilbert Beilschmidt (Prussia); Ludwig Beilschmidt (Germany); Otto Abitz (my human OC)
Word Count: 2764
AN//Otto is my German human oc who was part of Gilbert's troops in WWII. The two of them ended up falling in love but, since gays weren't accepted as part of the aryan race, it didn't end well for them. Also, for anyone wondering, this is what Otto looks like (drawn by me)

 Also, for anyone wondering, this is what Otto looks like (drawn by me)

(The mark on his shoulder is a birthmark, not a scar)

Cool moonlight draped around them, accenting the shadows with a gentle, blue glow. A laugh broke the silence, low and happy, such a sweet sound lighting up the area and bringing a warmth to the albino's chest. Such love and devotion filled those crimson eyes, shining upon Otto and wrapping around him. Gilbert sat on a log, held close to Otto who would place gentle kisses to his head every so often, getting lost in the quiet of the night. "You're so beautiful." He whispered, lightly brushing Gilbert's white hair out of his face as he gazed down at him. "So, so beautiful."

Just the brush of his words was enough to make Gilbert's heart leap to his chest, skipping a beat. A smile parted his lips, such a rare thing to see at such a stressful time. It made Otto relax, feeling his heart swell with just how much he loves this man. "I love you." Gilbert said, voice soft, almost afraid to taint the comforting silence. "What did I ever do to deserve you?"

A forgiving hand, rough from years of work and fighting yet so caring, took its place on a pale cheek. "Chickadee, you've done everything. You're so good to me. I love you too. More than anything." Otto said sweetly, leaning in and kissing his love's nose. "I'll always love you no matter what happens. Never forget that, ok?"

Gilbert nodded, leaning into the loving touch. "Ok. I won't, I promise." He smiled up at the blonde, feeling more relaxed than he had in months. However, that all went away when he saw the dark green uniforms approaching behind his boyfriend, red armbands catching his attention. He quickly pulled away, eyes widening in fear. A quick reach to his hip told him that he'd forgotten his pistol inside the barracks.

Fear flashed in his eyes as he looked up at Otto. He always knew that the troops had been looking for another reason to send him to the camps, disturbed by his red eyes, white hair, and ghostly skin. Even so, he stepped in front of Otto, promising himself he'd do his best to protect the man. He let out a cry of pain as bullets tore through his leg, an entire cartridge being pumped into his right leg and sending him to the ground. Eight rounds shattering his knee and making him tremble. He looked up in horror as he heard the love of his life let out a scream and also fall to the ground. However, he could see that they had only shot him once, in the upper thigh. That helped him relax slightly, knowing it wouldn't be fatal. Though, his relief didn't last long as he was hit hard on the head with the butt of a gun and knocked unconscious.