Tears and Delivery

Claire would wake up early in the morning, earlier than her mother. She got out of bed and got dressed, heading downstairs and worked on making breakfast. She hummed a tune while making breakfast, occupying her mind as she worked.

During this time, she got multiple messages on her phone from Agent Fowler and Commander Zwei. Most were just checking in on her and she replied with no issue before she went back to making breakfast. She then heard footsteps in the distance. Not sure of where they came from, she quickly grabbed a small kitchen knife before looking around. When she heard a voice, she quickly turned around, only to see her mother. She sighed.

"Mama," Claire said. "You gave me a fright! I almost thought you were a stranger!"

"I'm sorry Claire," her mother said before walking over and hugging her. "I'll make sure to let you know it's me. Honestly, you have your father's jumpiness today."

"Sorry Mama..."

"You don't have to apologize," she kissed Claire's forehead. "Breakfast smells good. What are you making?"

"French toast and omelettes. Go ahead and sit down. I'll finish making them."

As Claire's mother went to sit down in the dining room, Claire went back into the kitchen to finish making breakfast. When it was done, Claire got plates ready and went to serve breakfast. However, when she finished serving, her mother had raised a brow.

"Claire, sweetie," she said. "Why did you place three plates?"

"Three pla-"

Claire cut herself short when she realized she placed what she did. She was surprised, but then assumed that she just placed the extra plates unconsciously. She then spoke again.

"The plate is for Sebastian... Of course," Claire said.

"Honey..." Her mother said before standing up, walking over to her daughter. "You already know Sebastian's gone."

Claire felt tears fill her eyes. She already knew about this, but why? Why did she forget at that point? Claire flinched when a hand was placed on her shoulder, looking at it before looking at her mother.

"Claire... You still miss him, don't you?"

The young girl tried to deny herself, but as she did, more tears fell down her face. She had been keeping herself back for her soldiers and herself, thinking that it would allow her to strong. She also wanted be strong for her mother, but that façade was already crumbling.

"M-Mama..."

Before Claire knew it, her mother hugged her. The tears kept falling before she ended up crying, holding onto her mother. It wasn't long before the mother cried with her. Mother and daughter faced their feelings together during that fateful breakfast.

After all the crying, the two continued breakfast as they left the third plate alone. Both of them had red eyes from crying, but did not mind it. Once breakfast ended, Claire heard a car horn that made a small smile appear.

"Duty calls," she said, getting up before kissing her mother's forehead. "Adieu mama. I'll see you after work's over."

Claire grabbed her things and headed out to meet a familiar car waiting for her. She smiled and got in before the drive started. It was silent before one spoke.

"Smoke..." Claire said in a gentle tone. "Do you sometimes pretend to be stronger than you are...?"

"Whoa! What's with this question?" Smokescreen asked.

"...It's nothing."

"Is it because of your brother?"

"How did you-"

"I overheard Optimus and Agent Fowler talk about it last night. But... They briefly talked about it."

Claire was silent as she looked out the window. The drive seemed to continue on like this until they arrived at the delivery site. The soldiers stood by when she arrived, getting out before Smokescreen transformed into robot mode. The gentleness toned down once she approached them. The soldiers would salute her before she spoke.

"At ease soldiers," Claire said calmly before looking at a private that was close by. "How's the Energon? How are we on delivery preparation?"

"The Energon is being collected," the private said. "We should be ready for delivery within the hour."

"Thank you private. You're dismissed."

The private nodded before walking away. Claire then checked on the other soldiers during the delivery preparation. Smokescreen would watch over things with the soldiers, but he'd also watch over Claire. He noticed that she acted differently. Was it because of the fact he mentioned her brother? He'd have to talk with her later.

Eventually, the Energon was ready for delivery. Smokescreen got into his vehicle mode and opened the door to allow for the soldiers to put the Energon inside. Claire made sure the Energon was stored properly before getting ready for departure.

"Alright Smoke," Claire said. "You ready to deliver this back to base?"

"You know it sergeant!" Smokescreen replied. "Let's get going!"

Once the Energon was in, Claire got in and the drive back to base would begin. The ride was quiet for quite for a while, Claire staring out the window in silence.

"Claire," Smokescreen said. "What happened with your brother? I only heard that he was gone."

Claire didn't respond at first, almost contemplating whether she wanted to speak or not. She then glanced at his rearview mirror.

"Do you really wish to know Smoke...?" She asked.

"Of course. Now, what happened?"

Claire sighed. "It was months ago, before I encountered the Decepticon, and before I transferred here..."