Battle Flashback

(Months Ago, Far from France)

(Claire's POV)

Sebastian and I were part of a team that went to battle against a group of Russian soldiers. We were sent out to be part of the vanguard, preparing for whatever would come our way. I was eager for this moment, while my brother was a little more reserved.

"Claire, ma sœur," Sebastian said, concerned. "I know you are excited, but we must be careful. I have been this far from home, but you haven't."

"Oh mon frère I'll be fine!" I told him, a smile on my face. "If I am able to handle combat at home, I can handle it here! Besides, you taught me what I know! With your knowledge, I'll be okay!"

Sebastian sighed. "Alright. I just don't want you to get hurt because père recommended you to the military. However... I still feel that, despite impeccable marksmanship, you are still too young for combat."

"Oh come on Seb! You heard what papa said! I will make a great soldier!"

"And what did mère say?" Sebastian asked, crossing his arms.

"She said that I should choose what I want, and I chose this."

Before my brother could protest, we made it to our destination. As me, Sebastian and the rest of the team, got out of the truck, we made our way to base where Commander Zwei was waiting for us.

"Bonjour Lieutenant," he said, nodding to my brother. "Sergeant," he then nodded to me.

"Bonjour commandant," Sebastian replied.

I nodded, still uneasy about talking with him. At that point in time, I was not as familiar with him as Sebastian was. After we arrived, Commander Zwei explained the plan of attack. The plan was to have the vanguard attack straight on while there would be a flank to the left and right of them, overwhelming them with ease.

Once the plan was discussed, everyone got to their positions and we were ready to attack the enemy. Our vanguard moved first, meeting the enemy with immense gunfire. Both sides were shooting, and the scent of gunfire was in the air. The battlefield was chaotic to the point where not only gunfire was used, but knives were used too. That's when the scent of gunpowder started to mix with the metallic scent of human blood.

Sebastian and I were fighting side by side, taking down soldiers left and right. We had each other's back during that entire fight as the left and right flanks were coming in to devastate the troops. We were doing well, but... The enemy had other plans.

While we had fought them, reinforcements were coming with tanks and bombs. What first was a battle to intercept the enemy became a full scale bloodbath. We seemed outmatched as many of our soldiers were dying. Sebastian tried to get the injured soldiers to safety as I tried to shoot bombs that were either mid-air, or in the soldier's hands, to make sure that they did not blast us.

"Commandant!" Sebastian said into his radio. "The vanguard is being devastated over here! It won't be long before the flanks become devastated too. What do we do?!"

The conversation on the radio soon went completely French, but I couldn't listen to it as I was in the middle of fending enemies off. We had to run and get to a different point on the battlefield before we fought the enemy again.

There was so much death, and the screams of agony rang in my ears. Pained words, both French and Russian, could be heard as they were dying. My first fight away from home, and it almost made me sick. Sebastian went over and took my hand.

"We don't have time ma sœur," he said gently. "We need to run and get back befo-"

Before he could finish his statement, a loud explosion happened near us.

"Let's go!"

We were running, shooting enemies along the way in order to travel safely. The battlefield was difficult to traverse as bodies littered the ground. I never understood how Sebastian was so used to the smell, as it made my stomach churn. The run was arduous, feeling like we had ran for miles.

Sebastian and I managed to find ourselves a safe place to hide, trying to see a way to make it to safety. I tried to discuss a plan with Sebastian to get us out of this and back to Commander Zwei in one piece. I was so scared at that point and I could feel myself shaking. Sebastian hugged me, rubbing my back.

"It'll be alright Claire," he said to me. "We'll make it back to the commandant and we can go back home to père and mère with this victory in hand. Je promets à ma sœur."

He kissed my forehead. Even on the battlefield, my brother always cared for me. He always made sure I was alright, no matter what. Before I even knew what happened, he pushed me away from him, and I heard an explosion.

"Sebastian!" I cried as I ran to him.

When I got to him, he looked horrible. The explosion I heard before was a grenade, and it fatally injured him.

"Mon frère... N-No..." I said, tears filling my eyes. "Don't leave me.... What about your promise? You can't leave me yet! Please!"

I was trying to tend to him the best I could before trying to pick him up. I wanted to get him out of there. He felt cold, and he was heavy, but I wanted to take him with me. I then heard enemy soldiers approach our position. Out of fear, I had no choice but to take his tags and leave his body.

"J-Je suis... desole..." I said before running away.

I couldn't remember how far I ran, but I knew that I couldn't go back. Even though I knew that, I felt like I had failed in saving him, and it tortured me up until I reached Commander Zwei and the remaining soldiers.

"Sergeant Chevalier!" Commander  Zwei shouted before running to me. "What happened? Where is Lieutenant Chevalier?!"

I couldn't answer him, no matter how hard I tried. I felt like my world had fallen apart at that moment as I tightly clutched onto his tags. My brother... My brother was killed in battle.