0.1

The floorboards creaked as he walked down the stairs, making a sound he was positive could wake a bear in hibernation. The house was dark, but he didn't want to turn on any lights in fear that she might wake up. He knew it was a stupid excuse, she was asleep upstairs and wouldn't have woken up even if the house started burning. The truth was, he liked the darkness. When he was younger, he hated it. It made him feel powerless and blind, but now he found comfort in it. He didn’t know when it had changed, but now he found himself preferring the darkness, it was a sanctuary. A sanctuary where you could do bad things no one would judge you for doing.

He lifted a sleepy hand and rubbed his eyes, the clock on the wall said 04.23. “Oh man,” he whispered to himself. “Why the hell am I awake now?” as soon as he said it, he stopped dead in his tracks. Had there just been a sound coming from the kitchen? It couldn’t be Abigail, she was sound asleep when he went down the stairs, he had seen her chest rise up and down while she drew in heavy, sleeping breaths. So who the fuck was in the kitchen?

He grabbed the vase on the coffee table and tiptoed towards the sound. There it was again, that clinging sound, as if someone was scarping metal against glass. He drew in a sharp breath, braced himself and stepped into the kitchen with the vase above his head.

What he saw nearly gave him a heart attack.

Because there, in front of the fridge, was a girl. She had long, blonde hair with pale blue ribbons braided in it. Her back was turned to him, so he couldn’t see her face at first, but when he let out a not so masculine shriek, she turned around. Her face was heart shaped, and would have been beautiful if it wasn’t for the fact that she had a huge silver spoon in her mouth. As soon as she saw him, she pulled it out of her mouth. He saw that he had been absolutely right; she was beautiful. Her lips were that perfect, baby pink colour, and her eyes were bluer than the sky on a hot summers day. He knew who she was the moment he saw her. Abigail had promised him she wouldn’t be here, but there she was, standing right in front of him and laughing her ass off.

Suddenly he became aware of the fact that he was only clad in his boxers, and his hair stood up in the air as if he just had sex. Well, he had, so it wasn’t that strange. He just hoped she couldn’t tell.

“So this is the new man she's been talking about all month” The girl said and put something in the fridge. It was a jar of peanut butter. That was what the spoon was for. A midnight trip to the fridge? He was surprised.

New man?” he asked, rather annoyed with the term she used. New. As if he was just one in a line of many. “Yeah, new. You do know there’s been quite a few guys here before you, and that there probably will be quite a few after you.” Her big eyes were staring into his green ones, as if she was staring right through him. Of course he knew Abigail was not the type to stick to one man for a long time. He just didn’t like being reminded of that.

“But by the stories she has told of you, she won't be letting you go any time soon” As she said it, she walked towards him, licking the spoon clean of peanut butter. She stopped right in front of him, and he could see gold gleaming from her nose, a septum crowning the piece of art that was her face.

A whiff of alcohol reached his nose. She had been drinking.

“You should go to bed,” he said, trying to look straight into her eyes, but he couldn’t. There was something in them that made it impossible to look at them for too long without blushing. He hated the effect she had on him. It was like she was luring him into something worse than death.

“Oh, I will.” She said, a smirk playing in the corner of her lip. She took a step away from him, her eyes gliding over his body, falling to rest on his black boxers. “Good night Harry, or should I call you, daddy?”