2.6

The sunlight flowed through the trees and left specks of light on his face. They danced as he moved, and every now and then, a ray of sunshine would flow into his green eyes, and he would blink hard. The comfort of the forest wrapped around him like a blanket, and through the sound of the birdsong, he could hear his own heart beating. Because even though he had walked along the paths of the forest and felt the mossy trunks of the trees under his palms more times than he could count, he was nervous. Because all those times, he had been alone, today however, he would not be.

He saw her ride up the hill on her bike. Her feet hit the pedals at full force as she climbed towards him, and he could see a flush on her face from the effort. She was wearing a yellow sundress, and as the specks of light danced across her body, he could not help but think she was even more beautiful than the sun.

When she stopped in front of him, her face lit up with a smile, and he felt molten gold flow through his veins.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," he said. She laughed a bit, a melodious sound that made even the birds in the trees jealous, and he could not help himself from bending down and kiss her lovely mouth.

"It's good to see you too," she said when he pulled away from her, and he smiled as she slipped her small hand in his. "Let's see what freedom tastes like."

They left her bike at the edge of the forest, while they themselves slipped between the trees and out of sight of gods and men. Her hand was still in his, and the trees floated past them as in a dream as they walked on. Never before had they walked like this, completely free and with their hands intertwined, and it felt as though the beautiful sun didn't just shine above their heads, but also in their hearts.

They walked in silence, none of them feeling the need to speak. It was as if they were in their own world, as if they somehow had left the hard cold world in which we live in, and entered a world where holding hands was the only thing that mattered.

Harry heard her draw air into her lungs, and he wondered what the flowers that grew in them looked like. What colour were they? What did they mean? "They must be beautiful," he thought, because beauty comes from beauty, and she was the most beautiful thing in the world.

After a while, they came to a clearing. The trees gave away, and a huge meadow opened up before their eyes, thousands of flowers springing up from the green grass. There were pink ones, blue ones, and purple ones. There were white ones and red ones and yellow ones, and he thought: "This is what the inside of her chest must look like."

The flowers tickled her legs as the walked through them. They stretched up, and reached under her dress, caressing her skin like a lover. She giggled a bit, and kicked off her shoes so that she could feel the grass beneath her toes. It tickled her foot, and her toes dug into the soil. She laughed again, and started running, leaving harry behind.

She ran across the meadow, and he watched her hair dance in the wind as she ran. She was light on her foot, jumping a bit for every step she took, as if she could fly away any moment.

Adelaide stopped when she reached the edge of the meadow, and found herself standing by a pond. A small river ran into it, and the sound of the water sang lovely songs in her ears.

"Come on!" she turned around and said to Harry. He was still at the other side of the meadow, her shoes in his hands as he walked towards her. She smiled deviously at him as he approached, and suddenly, she pulled her dress over her head, leaving her only in her underwear.

Her skin was no longer milky white. The sun had kissed her, and gifted her with a soft, tan glow. Tan lines appeared on her back as she took off her bra, and he felt his breath hitch in his throat as he took in the sight of her. He had never seen this much of her skin before. He had never seen her soft breasts or the small birthmark on her shoulder, but now he did, and as she stood naked before him, she smiled, and he felt himself blush.

"Last one on the water is a chicken," she said and jumped into the pond. The water engulfed her, and for a moment, he could not see her. But then her face broke the surface, and she sucked in a breath of air.

"Chicken," she said, and splashed water at him, soaking his t-shirt.

"You're going to regret that!" He said and pulled the wet shirt over his head. She laughed, and watched him undress. Then he jumped in, and felt the cool water wash over his warm skin. He splashed her, and she screamed with laughter.

"I told you you were going to regret that." He said, and she splashed him back. They gasped for air as they splashed each other, and the woods around them filled with the sound of their laughter.

He tried to splash her again, but she wrapped her legs around him from behind and whispered in his ear: "Now you can't splash me without splashing yourself."

"Watch me," he said, and dipped them both beneath the water.

"That's unfair!" she said and spat water into his ear.

"Oi, that's unfair too!" he said, and she laughed.

"Now take me out of the water." He swam towards shore and grabbed a tree to hold them up as they got out of the water, but he slipped, and his long legs gave away beneath them. They crashed to the ground and he grunted as they landed, their limbs entangled to the point where he didn't know where she ended and he began.

"You okay?" she said and sat up, a frown appearing on her smooth forehead.

"Yeah," he said. "I guess I'm not as strong as I thought I was." He smiled at her and she placed her hand on his cheek.

"You're strong enough to me," she said and placed a small kiss on his forehead.

The sun dried their skin and they got dressed again, his head rested in her lap and she ran her fingers through it, sometimes stopping to braid it or to put a flower in it.

"Please never stop running your fingers through my hair," he said and closed his eyes. "That would be awfully inconvenient, wouldn't it?" She said and placed a pink flower in his hair. "What would you do if you were to go to the store? Should I sit on your back with my hands in you hair? What if you were going to take a shower? Your hair is so curly it would be almost impossible to run my fingers through it when its wet" He opened his eyes and looked at her. Her cheeks were a bit sunburnt, and a couple of freckles had popped up on her skin, but she smiled down at him as she spoke.

"Or we could just stay here for ever," he whispered to her.

"I would like that very much," she said and put a yellow flower in his hair.

But the sun went down, just like it does every day, and as day gave away to evening, and the only sun remaining was that which burned in their hearts, they turned to go home again.

Before they left, he gathered a bouquet of flowers in his hands, making sure he got all the different colours. "Here," he said and gave it to her. "Thank you for planting flowers in my chest, and staying long enough to see them bloom."