0.8

In his left hand, he held a black notebook filled with empty pages. In his right hand, he held a pencil. For months, maybe years, his mind had been closed, and he had been unable to make the pen dance across the blank pages. But this morning, his mind had opened, and he could no longer keep the pen from the paper. They wanted to meet so badly, to fill page after page with beautiful images. And he was not going to be the one to keep them from doing that.

He looked up at the trees above him, saw them dance in the wind, and wondered if she was looking at them too. He didn’t know where she was, it was probably far away from these woods, but he wondered anyways. Because last night, his mind had been opened by the seventeen year old girl he was now terrified of.

“Miss Navarre” Mrs. Lange’s sharp voice cut through the room, and made Adelaide’s head snap up from where she had been staring at he trees outside the window. “Will you please care to share your thoughts on the Eleatic Philosophy?” Mrs. Lange´s sharp, grey eyes could make even a grown man insecure, but they didn’t have any effect on Adelaide. She just straightened her back, brushed some dust off her jeans and said: “No.”

Mrs. Lange drew in a sharp breath and pursed her lips, a habit she had when she was annoyed. Somehow she always ended up doing that when she challenged Adelaide. The two of them had been in open war since the day Adelaide stepped into her classroom for the first time. Their battle seemed to be an endless one, neither of them wanted to let the other one win, and thus their hate never seemed to burn out.

“Would you care to share any of your thoughts with the rest of the class?” The room turned icy cold, and the other students held their breath in anticipation. 

“Oh, I have plenty of thoughts I´d like to share with the class.” Adelaide said, biting down on her bottom lip and batting her eyelashes. “But I hardly think my opinion on fellatios are appropriate for this situation.”

Whatever Mrs Lange had expected, it was not that. Her nostrils flared and she tugged at her pearl necklace. A war seemed to be fought in her mind, but eventually her shoulders sunk and she muttered: “Class dismissed,” before she turned and left the classroom.

Adelaide smiled to herself, but she ignored the shouts and whistles from the other students, she didn’t do it to amuse them. In fact, she was not entirely sure why she kept tormenting the poor teacher, but there was something pleasurable about standing up for herself, and she was not in he habit of denying herself pleasure.

“I think you outdid yourself this time.” Kieran said and sat down her desk. “You´re never going to let her have a quiet day, are you?” “Nah, I wouldn’t rob her of the pleasure of hating me” She said and smiled. She threw a quick glance out of the window, looking at the trees dancing in the wind. A weird feeling settled in her stomach, a deep ache of something she could not quite understand. Something was coming, and it wasn’t just spring.

“So, how’s life back at the old Navarre household?” Kieran asked as they sat down under the big, dead willow tree. It was a great hiding spot, the long branches reached all the way down to the ground, shielding them from curious eyes. “Your mother´s new boy, what´s his name again?” Leith asked, lying down on the old wool blanket they kept out there. “Harry,” Adelaide said, resting her head on is stomach. “Harry, he doesn’t seem like one of her regular guys. Too, what can I say? Soft.”

“He´s strange, but I he´s not that bad actually. I don’t know, he´s confusing.” The very second the words left her mouth, her head hit the ground with a soft thud. Leith had sat up abruptly, letting out a surprised “What?

“Ouch, what did you do that for?” She sat up, rubbing her head. “You seriously think he isn’t that bad?” Now Kieran had joined the conversation. His eyes were bulging, and a smirk was plastered on his face, and he let out a small laugh. “You do realise you´ve never said anything like that about her previous boys?” Adelaide let out a sigh and pulled her legs up under her. “Shut up,” She whispered.

“This is huge,” Leith whispered. “Gigantic,” Kieran agreed. “Shut up,” she repeated, hitting them playfully before laying down on the blanket.

“So, do you have any plans regarding this, strange, not so bad but confusing Harry guy?” Leith handed her a bottle of strawberry wine, but she swatted it away. “Oh, I almost forgot. You don’t drink on Thursdays.” He said and took a deep swig of the bottle. “It goes against my deepest principals. Some days, like Thursdays, should be experienced sober.” She stated, trying to act her normal self, but something inside her had changed, like she was seeing the world in a new way. It was like she had been asleep for her whole life, and was only now waking up. It terrified her, and she hated being terrified.

“With the exception of Fridays, Saturday, Mondays and Wednesdays?” Kieran laughed. “You should never be forced to live through a Monday sober.” She stated, staring up at the branches above her. “And when it comes to Harry, I intend to do absolutely nothing,” she said, and felt absolutely terrified as she let the words fall from her mouth.