0.4

When she pulled away from him, her cheeks were tinted red and her eyes were glowing, but all of that disappeared when she looked at the clock. Her cheeks went pale and she pushed him away a bit rougher than he would have liked.

“ADELAIDE!” she screamed, the whole house immediately filling with the sound of her voice. “WE ARE LATE!” “I'm so sorry Harry, I have to run, but I promise you to finish that kiss when I come home”. She walked out of the kitchen, leaving him alone with a dirty smoothie machine and an empty cereal box.

He could hear Adelaide running down the stairs, her bare feet thumping against the hard floor. She ran past the kitchen door, but turned around and peeked into the kitchen. A devilish smile spread across her face, and she ran towards him, leant up and kissed his cheek.

“Have a good day daddy” She whispered and ran out of the room.

He could hear the car driving down the driveway two minutes later.

The house was empty, but his mind wasn’t.

His mind was filled with her voice saying daddy, daddy, daddy, over and over again. He hated the word; it was so degrading, both for the one who said it and the one who heard it.

A sigh fell from his pink lips and he pushed himself away from the kitchen counter where he had been standing. He had to tell her to stop calling him that. It was true that some people may expect him to act like a father for her, but there was no way he was going to do that. He wasn’t old enough to be a father. Yet alone her father.

He collected the abandoned cereal bowl and put it in the washing machine before he went upstairs to get dressed properly. He had to get out of here. If he didn’t get any air, he would surely go crazy.

So he pulled on a big knitted sweater and a beanie before he went out in the cold morning air. The cold breeze seeped trough his clothes, but he ignored it. Early morning walks around the neighbourhood and into the woods was his favourite thing to do. It cleared up his head. Let him think. But not today. Today there was something bothering him. Someone was bothering him.

And that someone was a girl staring up at the naked branches as they flew by above her as she drove with her mother to school.

The car was silent, as always. They weren’t in the habit of speaking to each other in the mornings. She knew her mother liked her peace and quiet, and she could understand that, because she liked that too. She just wished her mother would sometimes say “good morning” or “have a nice day”. She never did. And Adelaide had learned to never expect her to either. That’s why she was so shocked when her mother said: “So, what do you think of Harry?”

Adelaide was so shocked, she had to wait a whole minute before she was able to answer.

“You mean; do I like him more than the last one?” she turned to look at her mother, a smirk playing in the corner of her mouth. “Oh yes, I like him a lot.”

Her mother looked at her strangely, and she almost got worried, but then her mother always looked at her strangely. Like she couldn’t quite believe she was actually there. “Good, because I like him a lot too.” “Do you like him, or just his...” her mother cut her off before she could finish. “Oh shut up,” she said and they both started laughing.

Abigail may have liked Harry a lot, but they both knew the older of them wasn’t just in it for his personality. That was maybe the one thing they had in common: their love for passion. Though they had a very different way of expressing it.

“Here we are.” Abigail said when she parked the car outside the school. “Have a good day Addie.” Adelaide turned around and looked at her mother as she stepped out of the car. “Wow, first you ask me what I think about the boy living in our house, and then I get a 'goodbye Addie', he must be better than I thought.”

She slammed the car door shut and smiled as she walked towards the big stone building. “Mrs Dedaux Academy” it read over the iron gates. It was supposed to be a school for gifted children, but in reality it was a school for children with gifted parents. There was nothing special about the students, they were all miserable and bored, but their parents were special. They were all either doctors, professors of lawyers. Or, like her own mother, especially talented business people. No one ever mentioned it out loud though. It was just something everyone knew.

Adelaide pulled up the sleeves on her jacket and pushed open the heavy metal doors. They made an awful, creaking sound. She had always liked that sound, it was like a “good morning” from the school gates, greeting her every day for the past years.

“Is it just me, or are the gates sounding a bit depressed today?” A voce whispered in her hear. She jumped three meters up in the air, and a very unladylike word escaped from her mouth. “For fucks sake Kieran, how many times are you going to do that?” she scowled at the skinny boy walking beside her. He was wearing a maroon beanie, and his face lit up with a giant smile.

“I'm going to do it every day, until you come to expect it, and then I will stop, only to start again when you begin to relax.” She punched him in the arm, a bit harder than just a friendly punch. “I hate you, you do know that?” She said. “No we all know you love him,” another boy said. Leith. He had dirty blonde hair and a beautiful accent. “No, I hate him, just like I hate you!” she laughed and put one arm around each boy. “And you love each other, don’t you?”

“Yeah” Kieran said. “But no homo”

“Shut up”