CHAPTER FOUR

Don't ask me why, but Baldo and Grant took control, and are making Samantha and Dave do laundry, because the motel owner had a washing machine? Ok, well, neither of them had done laundry before.

***

Samantha had always hated lady-like things. Instead of forgiving and forgetting, she liked to punch those who wronged her. People and inanimate objects that were annoying.

And she knew nothing about using a laundry machine. She just spent the money to go to the dry cleaners and let other people do the work.

But, today there wasn't any dry cleaners in at least one-hundred miles. And, worse yet, it was HER job to do laundry. Well, her and Dave. He was still traumatized by the spider that came out of the wall earlier, so they gave him an 'easier' job.

Laundry.

"Ok," she said, looking at a note that was left by the washing machine. "It says we're supposed to put one cap-full of powder in."

"Ok," Dave said meekly, and swallowed, as if he was just told to climb Mount Everest.

Samantha put the clothes in and took a minute to study the sign on the wall. It said LAUNDRY FOR ALL with a dark wooden background. She looked back at Dave, who was staring at the buttons on the machine with furrowed eyebrows. "Do we use hot water or cold water?"

"I don't know, Hot? Well, we should probably use less hot water, since we're gonna be stuck here for a while." She clicked START and then HOT WATER.

CLUNK!

"What was that?" Dave asked.

"I don't know, I'll check it out. You put the soap in with the clothes."

Dave nodded.

Sam opened the door and stepped out into the next room. A bag had fallen, one with an A on it. Probably Amy's. She put it back on the shelf and returned to the laundry room.

"I put the soap in," Dave said proudly.

Samantha gave a stiff nod and looked through the top of the washing machine.

The water was pink.

"DAVE. WHY. IS. THE. WATER. PINK?"

"I don't know, I just put the soap in."

"What did this soap look like?"

"I don't know, it was a ball thing the size of my fist, it was a pinkish purple-y swirl-y thing? Kind of crumbly and hard."

"Dave." Sam said, unable to speak. "YOU JUST PUT A BATH BOMB INSIDE THE WASHING MACHINE."

Dave blinked. His face paled. "Oops."

"NOW EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE PINK! I SAID PUT THE POWDER IN, NOT THE FIRST OBJECT YOU SEE!"

"WELL IM SORRY BUT WHY WAS THERE A BATH FIZZY IN A LAUNDRY ROOM?"

"WHY IS THERE A LAUNDRY ROOM HERE TO BEGIN WITH?! IT'S A MOTEL!"

"GOOD QUESTION!"

The door opened. It was Kris. And she was frowning. "Why is it that when I turn the water on it's pink? And what are you two fighting about?"

"Crap." Sam spat. "Doofus over here put a bath fizzy in instead of soap. This dumb laundry thing must be broken. The pipes are probably all wrecked. Ick. it's probably leaking everywhere RIGHT AS WE SPEAK. THAT'S IT." She walked forward a step and kicked the washing machine. It made a buong sound. The metal caved in where her toes had collided with it.

"You didn't have to do that," Kris wailed. "That's our ONLY washing machine!"

Dave rolled his eyes. "The whole machine isn't ruined, We just have to run the water for a while. The color should be gone soon, and also there's six full vending machines in the entry, loaded with water bottles."

Sam scoffed. "Um, if the laundry water is going out other pipes, what's next? The toilet water going out the sink? Not sanitary, especially if someone drinks from it."

Kris looked very disturbed. "Ok, well, yes I think we should probably never use any of the appliances again. But it's also only the 20th. We still have like, 38 days till December 28th. Let's just stop all appliances now and only return to them if we're desperate."

And so, like that, they were one less privilege away from madness.