CHAPTER THIRTEEN

ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***

Grant and Steve ran to the door as fast as they could. Steve was sweating, ready to collapse, but Grant savored it. After being locked in the damp, musty basement, he felt he could run for years.

The entry was cluttered with knocked-over vending machines. The two tried to trudge over the heap to get to the door, and Steve cut his foot on one of the rusted edges. "OW!" He shrieked.

Grant kind of wanted to ask why Steve wasn't wearing shoes, but he figured it could wait. "Come on, it's a minor cut. You're fine."

Steve shook his head and flopped over on the vending machine. "No. I'm sorry. I've come so far, fought so long, but I'm afraid. . . my journey ends here." He locked eyes with Grant.

Grant shrugged. "Okay!" He turned around.

"Hey!" Steve yelped.

"Just kidding, doofus." Grant dragged Steve from the maze of vending machines. "No man left behind."

They got to the door, finally. Grant reached into his pockets for the bobby pin. His heart stopped when he didn't feel it. Then he looked at Steve, who was playing with it like a fidget spinner.

Grant resisted the urge to roll his eyes. At least it wasn't lost. He ripped it from Steve's grasp and jammed it into the lock, twisting and turning.

Nothing.

"I don't think it's working," Steve commented.

Grant sucked in his breath. "You don't say?" He muttered. He shook his head. No turning back now. I can figure this out. He balled up all of his irritation with Steve and slammed himself into the door, so hard he felt all his bones were smashed.

"Wow!" Steve cried. "How did you do that?"

"Desperation and isolation madness."

By now, the others had made their way through the labyrinth of vending machines. "Thank god we're alive," Dave sighed. His eyes widened when he saw light through the doorway. "How did you get it open?" He breathed.

"He kicked it very hard," Steve said proudly, as if he were the one who saved them.

"It was nothing," Grant said. "All that matters is that we're all here, and we're all alive." He grabbed the door handle and pulled it open farther. There was still plenty of snow, but nothing they couldn't climb over. He ushered everyone outside and took one last look at the lobby, making sure there wasn't some idiot he forgot about still back there.

Once assured, he shut the door and rubbed his hands together, grinning.

"What are you thinking about?" Amy asked, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"I'm in the mood to try out being karma for today." Grant relatched the door from the outside and slammed it, making sure it was nice and tight. "Now they're the ones stuck inside."

***

Thanks for reading, folks!