CHAPTER SIX

Kris is trying to make the best of everything...

***

Kris knew she had to think on the bright side.

Luckily that didn't mean she had to love the motel. For some reason, it smelled like burnt eggs today.

Everything also seemed very. . .distant.

Brian sauntered by, eyes staring dead ahead, lips pressed together in determination.

Was that snow on his pants?

Couldn't be.

They were locked inside. He couldn't have come in contact with any snow.

Kris blinked.

The group had been rationing food and water, quit use of all appliances, and their only form of entertainment was the rusty devices Amy and Steve had found in the basement.

Samantha was viciously playing solitaire on the computer (yes, viciously, she was spamming the buttons and yelling at the cards).

A thought hit Kris.

Everyone had been doing their share of the chores.

But she almost never saw Brian.

No, literally, she almost never saw him doing anything. It was like he wasn't even there.

Her eyes narrowed. Was he?

The snow on Brian's pants. Yes, snow. It wasn't anything else, she knew what snow looked like when she saw it. Anyone would.

Brian was escaping.

He was a LIAR.

She needed to tell someone.

Now.

She had to tell everyone.

NOW.

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

She got up and scrambled to the entry room, where Dave was playing with a dusty Rubix cube he found in the bathroom closet. "Hey!" Dave's eyebrows were furrowed in concern. "What's the panic about?"

Kris explained.

Dave widened his eyes. "I'll tell everyone. You track down Brian."

"Ok."

Brian had been heading down the hall. Kris sprinted in that direction, and a moment later, there he was. She had to attack. Or spy. She couldn't decide which, but that didn't matter because instinct kicked in and she lunged on top of him.

"OWWWWW! GET OFF OF ME, IDIOT!" He shrieked.

"NOT TODAY, TRAITOR!" She pinned his face to the dusty floor.

"THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!"

"WELL NOW IT IS!"

"GET. OFF. OF. ME!" He forced her off with surprising strength. She grabbed him by his shoulders and slammed him down again.

"HEY!" Grant yelled and plunged himself on top of Brian. "EXPLAIN."

"Explain what?" Brian asked, sounding quite weasel--ish.

"I don't know, maybe the fact THAT YOU ARE A TRAITOR!"

"FINE!" Brain replied.

"YOU'D BETTER GIVE ME A GOOD ANSWER!" Grant screamed in reply.

"OK, I WILL!" Brian got up and dusted himself off. "You idiots were never nice to me. I'm sick of being mocked. I'm sick of you guys thinking I'm just a dork. I'M NOT. I DEMAND to be leader of this group, or I'll keep you locked in here FOREVER. Oh,yeah, about that? There was never a case in Minnesota. Me and my allies set it up. I bought this motel and had a friend call you and set up the investigation near the time of a blizzard. You can't drive in a blizzard. So, duh, you're gonna take a break at the nearest motel. Moose lodge.

"We were never snowed in. That doesn't even happen in Minnesota. That night I just covered all the windows in paper."

Steve blinked. "We were NEVER EVEN SNOWED IN?!"

"No, but I did lock the doors. Only I have the key. Now this is my motel, and you're going to be my workers. Well, actually, some of you will. The rest are going in the dungeon. I think now you realize why I made that basement just SO disgusting. I already know which of you will get put there. Grant, Jason. . . Maybe Satori."

"Why ME?" Satori squeaked. She was huddling in the corner, watching the comotion.

"You're annoying. As for Kris, Amy, Steve, Dave and Samantha... You wont get put in there unless you anger or annoy me. But yes, Grant, Jay and Satori will all have to atone for what they did. And learn to bow to their true leader, me."

Grant rolled his eyes. "Oh please, you're nothing compared to us. I can pretty much confirm that in a fight out of eight against one twig, the eight would win."

"ALLIES, COME OUT."
Nine people all dressed in Minnesota Vikings clothes appeared from behind the vending machines. They put handcuffs around Satori, Grant and Jason, and pulled them away silently.

Now, Kris realized there were five of them compared to Brian and his nine guards.

Well, it's not so bad. I've got Samantha on my side. Just have to stay positive, right? Brian will get what he deserves. 

Right?