The Early Mission, Chapter 3: The Other Side

!!Please check out the separate book I've made for this story as I don't post updates in this book anymore!!

Betty

Baddy and Chomps stood on either side of me as the three of us stared up at the symbol on the wall. Everything on the wall looked like ancient inscriptions that we didn't understand, and it reminded me of the ancient species of the dodo birds. The dodo birds were known to be extinct for a long time, until two years ago, a group of dodo birds revealed themselves in Ker-splash canyon. And Ker-splash canyon was probably where we were in.

This was it, I thought. We found the clue. Whatever happened to Rod, was about to happen to me. I readied myself.

And sure enough, something did happen. I turned to see Baddy and Chomps no longer beside me. Was this what happened to Rod? Was he still in the illusion?

I waited for something else to happen. I didn't know what to expect, but I guess I expected something more to happen. To at least get an idea of where Rod would be.

"Rod?" I yelled into the place. My voice felt small all of a sudden. The walls of the cave were now black, and even with my night vision I couldn't see them.

Whatever happened to Rod, was happening to me.

I turned back to the wall with the clue on it. The flow of emotions flooded back to me, and the darkness consumed everything.

Whatever happened to Rod... was happening to me.
~~~

I was woken up to a familiar

"COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOO!!!"

I jumped up, awake, startled, bumping Rod. The first thing I saw was a red and white blur that was Rod, before we fell back on the ground.

"Hey!" We said at the same time.

We were in a small clearing in a forest. "Where are we?"

The answer came from a girl's voice beside us. "Welcome to the cursed Dodo island."

I turned to see a familiar dodo bird, whom I've seen from Big Swirl island. Her name was Della, and she usually hung out at Ker-splash canyon on Big Swirl island, along with the rest of the dodo birds. Their tribe was the only dodo birds we've seen on Big Swirl yet.

"Cursed? Oh how exciting. Can you guys please tell me what's going on?"

-a -gap- that I'm currently trying to fill-

"Dangerous dodos?" I asked.

"Yeah, there's another Top Wing center in an island nearby, and we're helping them track the dodos because they're threatening everyone around here," Della explained. "The island is cursed, and there will be a lot of illusions here, so it will be hard to find that place."

"What happens after we find the dodos?"

Before Della could answer, the leaves from a nearby bush rustled, alerting us. We stopped in our tracks. A shadow moved through the trees, causing us to glance in that direction.

"I'll go check it out. Wait here," Della said. Before we could protest, she ran forward and disappeared through the trees.

"Why does she know so much about this?" Rod asked.

"I was wondering the same thing. She's not even a cadet."

A few moments later, the sound of something hitting the ground caught our attention. We ran in the direction Della had gone to, and after a little while, we came across Della. She was pulling the handle of a scythe that had its blade somehow stuck in the trunk of a tree. Wondering what on earth had happened, we ran up to her and helped her pull the scythe out of the tree.