Chapter 6: I Didn't See That Coming

Sorry for the late update! I promise I'll get better at updating on time! :)

Talia's POV

I spend the rest of my day thinking about that terrifying vision. Well, that and Marcus Trent. It made sense who he was. I mean, how many times did I hear Zoey talking about her cousin? Or think about the kid in the class above me going blind when I was nine? I can't believe I didn't put two and two together. There was just something about him. Something that made me want to punch him and kiss him at the same time. It was very infuriating.

Now, here I am, waiting for him to walk through the room into detention. I need to talk to him about this morning. I know he saw it too. While I'm waiting, I try to figure out the best excuse for my step father. He knows I have just enough time to prepare dinner before my shift at work. I have debate club today; since I'm in here, I'll have to practice during soccer practice. Then, coach is going to make me stay longer, and I won't have time to make dinner.

I look up from my phone when the door opens. It's Marcus. I rush over to him as fast as I can and drag him to the back of the classroom in a secluded area. "Sit," I tell him in a stern tone. He looks like he wants to say something, but decides to keep his mouth shut. He goes ahead and takes a seat, and I go ahead and do the same. "We need to talk about what happened this morning," I command leaving no room for argument. I feel waves of unease and worry come off of him. I give him thirty seconds to respond, and when he doesn't, I speak. "Look. I know you had that vision too, so don't try to even deny it."

"I wasn't going to deny it, per say," he responds slowly and carefully, like he's afraid I'm going to bolt if he says the wrong thing. I'm the one who wants to have this conversation. Like I'm going to run. "I'm just trying to figure out how to explain this."

"Wait. You're trying to explain? Shouldn't I be the one trying to explain this to you? You're blind. You have no idea what happened," I doubted.

"I know more than you think. I saw the vision too," he confesses. Ok. Now I'm realllly confused.

"How is that even possible?" I ask, surprised.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. There is a LOT that I need to tell you, but we have an audience. Is there anyway we can sneak out of here?" he questions me, looking over towards the other side of the room. I look behind me to see Jake giving us a questioning look. Shit. I forgot I gave him detention too. I furrow my eyebrows and think again about what Marcus just did. He looked over towards Jake's side of the room. Like he knew he was there. This just keeps getting weirder. I turn back over to Marcus with a confused look and speak up.

"I don't know of a way we can sneak out," I pause. "But, I do know of a way we can get away from prying eyes." I turn to the front of the room. Mr. Rowane is this beady old man with balding hair that loves overseeing detention. It's his belief that any kid who so much as breathes wrong should be in detention. The only thing he loves more than detention is manual labor. I wouldn't take band even if my life depended on it.

"Mr. Rowane?" I pipe up. He looks up from his book and gives me a glare.

"Yes Ms. Waddell?" he asks irritably.

"Would it be ok if Marcus and I head down to the the music room and clean up? I know that your whiteboard could use some cleaning," I try to persuade. His face seems to brighten up and a grin comes onto his face.

"What an excellent idea!" he beams, going to dig the keys out of his bag.

"Thank you, sir," I tell him.

"No. Thank you. Now, if there is so much as one scratch on an instrument or I hear you two have run off somewhere else, you both will have detention for the next month," he warns, handing me the keys," I will be over there to check on you two in thirty minutes. Off you go." He shoos us out of the classroom. I turn around to help Marcus up only to see that he's already standing by the door. I lead us down the hall and up the flight of stairs to Mr. Rowane's classroom, walking slow to make sure Marcus can keep up. I set my stuff down and turn to him. He's already sitting down. That was fast.