4: Stuck Together

When I met Karl, I had been time traveling for 15 years at this point.

It was odd to find another like me, but at the same time, I felt...

Not alone?

Maybe...

~~~~

"Oh! So you're the idiot that wanted me dead!" Y/n shouted, waving her arms around like a mad man.

Karl's face went red, he had a panicked look on his face.

"No! No! That's not what I wanted at all I-"

"No, Mr. Jacobs! You wanted me dead!"

The two stared in silence, both trying to find the words to use to explain their uh... predicament.

"I-uh it's sorta a game? I have to play it to get back to the InBetween." Karl explained.

Y/n's eye lit up when she heard the name.

How did he know about the InBetween? Was he from there? Was he also a time traveler? How long had he been traveling for?

Her mind started to race, with thoughts about this boy. This strange, golden retriever looking boy.

Her eyes grazed over his, hoping to find some sort of answer.

She focused in, her e/c bore into his light brown ones.

It finally worked.

His memories appeared in front of her, all of them seemed to be in order.

Good, he organizes his thoughts regularly.

She scrolled through them like tinder, swiping left and right, slowing reading each one.

Ah there it is!

....

He's only on his second adventure...

She blinked her eyes once again, pulling the two out of the trace.

Karl stared back in shock and fear.

"What did you just do!" He whisper yelled.

"I read your memories. It's a power I learned from my mother when I was five, the year I started time traveling..."

Karla features soften. He seemed almost sympathetic.

"Y-youve been time traveling since you were five?" He questioned.

"Yep. 15 years." She weakly smiled back.

Karl started to fiddle with the edge of his sweatshirt again, unsure of what to say.

"You aren't human, are you?" He asked.

Y/n shook her head.

"No, I was born within the InBetween. Both of my parents time traveled, yet they didn't start nearly as young as me." She mused.

Technically, she was a sorta sub-set of human. She had every other human function, but with just a bit more magic to her.

Karl stepped back a bit, still not sure what to say.

Suddenly, the pair was engulfed in light.

"I guess it's time to go back?" Karl asked.

Y/n only nodded her head in response.

~~~

The InBetween was the exact way she had left it.

She smiled at the pure white world surrounding her. She felt at peace.