7: His eyes

Death was something I had witnessed a lot, yet something I wasn't prepared for.

Nobody really prepares for death fully, it always comes with surprises.

That was something i learned the hard way.

~~~~

The time travelers woke up in a haze of confusion and fear, the once colorful world around them turned to a pure white scenery.

A warm glow engulfed them as they came to their senses, laying on their backs as their eyes met the sky.

Karl felt a wave of relief around him as he sat up, his eyes adjusting to the light.

Y/n on the other hand, not so lucky.

"What the actual fuck, Karl! I mean seriously what happened back there! I told you would should've left!" She yelled at her time traveler in-crime.

Karl looked at her with a confused look on his face, his eyebrows creasing in confusion.

"Me? Well I saved you, that's what I did! And that whole thing was awesome! All the drama all the action! Truly a work of art!" Karl smiled, giving the girl a cheesy thumbs up.

Y/n didn't smile at this, she only shook her head as her anger bubbled up further. Her fists clenched as she let out a childish stomp.

"Karl, the watch and I have a question for you..." her voice got frighteningly calm.

Karl nodded as he straightened up, awaiting what he thought to be a life changing question.

Y/n paused for a second, putting her hands on her hips as she looked him up and down. Karl straightened up further at this action, a small smile formed on his face in anticipation.

"Are you dumb? Maybe insane... perhaps a complete lunatic?" Y/n genuinely asked.

Karl huffed in response, shaking his head.

"Ya know, y/n if I where you I'd be much much nicer right now." Karl said as he crossed his arms.

She rolled her eyes, "oh really? My bad sorry, let me try again..."

Y/n took in a few deep breaths as if she was calming herself down, Karl cracked a smiled as she did.

"Alrighty, here we go..." y/n paused before opening her eyes to meet Karl's.

The pair stood in silence for a second, neither one moving. Y/n finally spoke, breaking the short lived silence.

Looking down at her watch she smiled.

"You were right, Watch. He really is a dumb ass..."

Karl scoffed loudly as he brought his hand to his chest, "seriously? You're being immature! Butler and Sir Billium could've ended so for good but no! I was the one who alerted watch after you got injured!"

"You let them almost feed me to a giant egg thing! My goodness Karl we could've died! Ugh!"

Y/n shrugged her shoulders in defeat as she tried to walk off, but was stopped.

"No, you stay! We have to talk!"

Y/n rolled her eyes as she sat on the floor cross cross apple sauce in front of him. Karl rolled his eyes at the girls acts but followed suit anyways.

"I want to know somethings..." Karl asked.

Y/n nodded, "whatcha want to know?" The anger in her had subsided a bit, yet she was still mad from their previous little adventure.

Karl shook his head, "no it's stupid, I shouldn't ask... but how long have you been alone?"

Y/n froze at the boys words, never before had she been asked such a question, especially one she thought she already told him.

As she thought it over, the girl really couldn't come up with an answer, maybe an appropriate? She really didn't know how long it had been...

"Let me ask... uh watch? How long have I been alone in the InBetween?"

15 years and counting...

Thanks, watch.

The girl sighed as she read her watch, her eyes looking away from Karl.

"No, y/n. I didn't mean like that, I mean... how long without a partner?"

A partner? XD have mercy she had no clue-

5 years and still counting...

Thank you, again watch.

She sighed again as she grew her hands down, allowing Karl to see the number.

"Geez, that long?"

"Can it, Jacobs. I don't want to hear it!" She snarled, looking away.

Karl shook his head, "Why so long?" He asked.

Y/n turned back to him, letting out a small breath.

"Well, I thought my last partner would be the last. My best soulmate, someone who I loved dearly... but..." she trailed off.

"But?" Karl asked.

"But he's dead now. No amount of saving could do any good. He's gone, and I can't help but feel as if it was my fault." Tears started to form in her eyes as she spoke.

"What was his name?" Karl asked, his hand gently touching hers.

Y/n sniffled, "his name was Maxwell, a ancestor of the man you would know as 'Awesamdude' or Sam..."

Karl gave a small look of surprised, but then returned to comforting the girl he had grown slightly found of.

"I had spent a lot of time in that world, it was a beautiful one. We dated for three years and engaged for about one and a half but-" she paused, her eyes now darting up to meet Karl's.

She jumped up, pulling back as she stood up. Her eyes blown wide in watch Karl could only assume was fear.

"I have to go!" She said as she dashed off to her room, leaving Karl to himself.

The boy sighed as he watched her run away. That y/n, what a strange strange girl to him.

When he was first told about her, he didn't believe she could be true. A time traveling family with only one member left? How crazy is that? What's even crazier is the fact that she has still been doing all of this for fifteen years...

Karl shook his head as he opened a small book he had been given a long time ago. It was a small, light green covered book with black inked pages inside.

He sighed as he opened the page on her, unsure of what to really say. His hands glided over the small drawn picture of her that the original author had created.

Dream was right, this girl was real...

Real dangerous. And Karl intended to find out why.

~~~

Y/n hid in her room as tears streamed down her face.

She opened her closet door, a plethora of pictures of her past loved hung on the door. She scanned over all of them until she found what she was looking for.

Maxwell, September 5th, 1939.

She smiled as she held the photo in her hands. Three sets of eyes smiled back at her, one of them being her own. The other two belong to her best friend in that world, a woman who went by "Nia", and the other, her lover himself, Maxwell Dude.

She concentrated in his face, studying his eyes carefully.

After a few moments, she dropped the photo, tears falling once again. The memory she had just had not too long ago played in her head.

When she looked up, expecting to see Karl's normally chocolate brown ones, she was stunned to see something different.

Maxwell's unusual green ones instead...

~~~~

Hi! I know it's been so long since I've written this book, but I am determined to finish it I promise!!

Thank you guys for the continued support! I love y'all so so much!

Mwah mwah!