Ch. 1 The beginning

*I do not own these characters or have any rights to them.

This story takes place right after Naruto, Sakura, Sai, and Yamato attempt to retrieve Sasuke.

The four leaf ninja were on their way
back to the hidden leaf village, feeling
defeated for failing to retrieve Sasuke.
Both Naruto and Sakura were feeling particularly down, even though they had had the chance to reunite with their long lost friend.

Once they had returned, the four of them reported back to Lady Tsunade, and informed her of their mission.

"I see." She said, noticing that Sakura was staring off into space, and Naruto looked, well gloomy, and he wouldn't even look her in the eye.

'It's probably just from shock and disappointment' thought Lady Tsunade. And she thought nothing of it.

"Alright", began Lady Tsunade, "I want all four of you to take a few days off and get some rest. You've all had a rough few days." She said, glancing at Naruto in particular.

"Yes m'lady." They said in unison. And so they all went home.

Naruto's pov.

As I left the hokages office, I felt...defeated. Sasuke was right in front of me, and I couldn't do a thing. He was close to me, even spoke to me, and yet, I couldn't bring him home.
'I'm such a failure' Naruto thought to himself. He walked looking down, so as to not see the world. A tear slid down the cheek of his already warm and flustered face. He tried to stop it, but it was no use, so he walked more quickly. Naruto arrived at his home without being stopped by anyone to talk, just as he hoped. He didn't feel like talking.
Naruto flopped aimlessly onto his bed, as more tears began to blur his vision. This time he didn't hold back, since he was in the privacy of his own home. Eventually, he cried himself to sleep, and didn't wake till morning.

Kakashi pov.

Lady Hokage informed me of what happened on the mission yesterday. 'Hey I know, I should go visit Naruto and Sakura to cheer them up with ramen.'
'Oh yeah, I'm still in the hospital. Guess I'll just summon them here in the morning.'

Narutos pov.

What's this? A summoning? But it's only 10 a.m. Naruto quickly threw on some cleanish clothes and went to the hospital. On the way, he ran into Sakura, who was also surprised.

"Oh hey Naruto." Said Sakura.

"Hey." Naruto replied.

"Do you happen to know why we were summoned here? Sakura asked politely.

"All I know is I was sleeping peacefully, and now I'm not." Naruto told her with a dull expression.

"Okay....." Sakura said, a bit confused at his response.

"Do you think Kakashi sensei will be disappointed that we...failed?" Sakura asked nervously, whispering the last word.

Naruto looked down, a dark expression on his face.

"Well he certainly won't be proud." Was Narutos response.

Concern now flushed Sakura face, looked at Naruto, and placed a hand on his shoulder, and a small smile for comfort. Naruto didn't bother to stop her, not that he minded. Her teammate was usually so happy and cheerful, with a big goofy grin plastered on his face, seeing him like this, almost made her feel more sad than she already was. All the same, she was glad to at least still have Naruto. As long as he was here too, she could do anything.

At last they reached their destination. Sakura knocked before entering. Naruto followed her in. Waiting there was Kakashi sensei.

"Welcome you two, my very favorite students! How would you both like to get ramen with me? My treat, of course." Kakashi asked hopefully, a glimmer in his voice. (He misses his students)

"So does that mean you don't like Sasuke?" Naruto asked seriously.

"Well, seeing the situation, I only have two students, therefore I can only have two favorites." Kakashi explained.

"Is that all you wanted?" Naruto asked.

"Well, technically yes, but I was h-"

"Thanks, but maybe some other time." Naruto stated, turning to leave the room.

Kakashi sighed.
"We all wish this could have turned out differently." Kakashi told Naruto.

Naruto stopped, but didn't turn around.

"But sometimes things are better left alone." He finished.

"That may be what you think, but I'm not giving up on him." Naruto whispered, barely audible.

"Enjoy your ramen." Naruto left.

Kakashi and Sakura glanced at each other, then back to the now empty doorway. That was weird, they both thought.

"So...ramen?" Kakashi asked.

"Sure." Sakura said.

At the Ramen shop

"Is it just me, or is Naruto acting weird?" Kakashi asked out loud.

"He's been like that all morning, and pretty much the whole way back from the mission
too." Sakura informed him. She took a bite of ramen.

"And on top of that he turned down ramen." Sakura added. "Do you think he'll be alright?"

"Just give it a few days and I'm sure the old Naruto will be back, joking around and laughing like usual." Kakashi said confidently.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Sakura agreed.

They continued to eat their ramen and catch up on their latest missions most interesting fights.

*A few days later

Naruto was lying in bed sleeping. It had been almost a week since he and Sakura had come back from their failed mission, and several days since he had even left his house or eaten. Narutos stomach growled.

Kurama = italicized

Hey kit, I know you can hear me.

"What do you want Kurama?"

This isn't healthy kit, you can't just stay in bed forever. And you need to eat so you can become strong, and bring back Sasuke, remember?

Naruto, tears sliding down his cheeks, "It doesn't matter how strong I get as long as he doesn't want to-to come back home. He choked.

Kirama sighed. Naruto, I know you care about this boy, but I care about you, and you can't keep doing this. Besides, you have people in the village depending on you.

Kurama paused. At least take a shower. You smell like last weeks takeout, that by the way, you still haven't cleaned off the counter.

Naruto thought about it, and then agreed to the shower part, and maybe cleaning off the counter, if he felt like it.