Ch. 6

"How can I ever become hokage if I can't even save a friend?" Naruto asked.

"So that's what this is about, huh kid?"

"And what does it matter if he's just gonna be killed anyways?" Naruto asked.

Jiriya thought for a moment before saying,"So basically, if he dies you die?"

Naruto nodded once again. Jiriya sighed once again.

"Naruto, it's not going to do anything for anyone if you die."

"Yes it will, because then I won't be left alone here." Naruto explained.

"There are lots of people here who care about you Naruto, other than coughSasukecough, me included." Jiriya told him.

"It looks like the soup is almost done. Get on." Jiriya said. Naruto climbed onto Jiriyas back, and was let off at a tree close to the fire. 

"Stay put." Jiriya ordered. "Kakashi, a word."

Kakashi looked up, a bit surprised, but silently obeyed, giving the stirring spoon to Sakura.

"Did you learn anything?" Kakashi asked.

"Yeah, that's what I wanted to talk to you about." Jiriya explained. "Have you noticed any strange behavior out of Naruto, during let's say the past two weeks?"

"I invited him and Sakura to have ramen after their failed mission, but he refused, and he's been a little more dull lately. Less color in his eyes, that sort of thing."

"Yeah, well if you take a close look at him, you'll notice he's much skinnier than any 15 year old boy should be." Jiriya explained.

Kakashi glanced in Naruto's direction. "I see. So he's starving himself to death, is that right?"

"Unfortunately so."

"The cause?" Kakashi asked.

"Sasuke."

"Of course." Kakashi sighed before walking towards Naruto.

Sakuras pov.

Everyone is acting strange, and having private meetings. I wonder what's wrong with Naruto.

"Hey Sakura, can you fill a can with that soup and bring it over here please?" Kakashi asked.

Sakura quickly poured a can of mushroom soup and brought it to where Naruto and kakashi were.

"Thanks."

Sakura noticed that Naruto looked particularly beat and gloomy, like he had been crying? But he never cries.

Sakura filled two more cans and brought one for herself and Jiriya, and sat next to him.

"Um, Jiriya sensei-" "I bet you're wondering what's up with Naruto, right?"

"Very much so, yes." Sakura replied eagerly.

"Just watch. You'll see." Jiriya said before dumping the contents of the soup in his mouth, and instantly falling asleep.

Sakura did what he had said, and it looked like Naruto was refusing the soup, and  Kakashi tied him down, and poured it down his throat.

Naruto then threw a fit, and threw up a few minutes later. (Not of his own will, just cause its been so long since there's been solid food in there.) Sakura didn't know what to think. Part of her wanted to go make sure Naruto was okay, and the other half wanted to smack him for doing this to them. Didn't he know how much she cares????

A little later in the evening after Naruto had calmed down a little and been removed from the throw up zone, Sakura approached   him.

"You lied to me." Sakura said coldly.

Naruto looked away, "I know."

"Why?" Sakura pried.

"I-I didn't want to, ya know?" Naruto said.

This took Sakura by surprise.

"But you all found out anyways because I'm such a failure." Naruto sniffed.

"Naruto..." Sakura gasped in awe. How could she not know that her best friend was sick all this time, and she didn't notice?

"You're not a failure Naruto." She whispered into his ear.

"But I am." He whispered back. 

Sakurara pulled him into a hug, and she could feel just how many of his bones were sticking out, and just how thin he was. She began her medical ninjutsu, placing one hand on his head for the fever, and the other on his left arm.

"Do I want to know how you got those cuts on your arm?" Sakura asked.

"Probably not." Naruto replied honestly.

"Thank you. For everything." Naruto told her.

His headache was relieving itself, and his cuts were nearly gone. Once that was done, Sakura placed her hands on his torso, trying to fix whatever organs Naruto had damaged, or at least ease the pain. Naruto tensed up slightly, but relaxed once the pain was released. Then Sakura gave him a vile of different herbs that she had mixed up.

"This will get your body ready for food again, so you'll have to eat something right after, otherwise it won't work." She explained.

"Alright then." Naruto chugged the vile, and then drank his remaining soup.