Ch. 4

Naruto woke up to the scent of campfire smoke, and to the sound of Sakura rolling up her sleeping bag and gathering her belongings. 'Jeez it's a bit chilly out this morning' Naruto thought. 'How can Sakura wear just that tant top and a skirt? Doesn't she get cold?'

Naruto shivered as he sat up, rubbing his forearms to keep warm. 'Oh yeah, I have bandages on from when I was cutting myself, (implied chapter 2).' Naruto pushed up his sleeve to reveal bandages on his left arm. As he unwrapped them, he noticed that the wounds hadn't left any scabs yet, and they were still pretty fresh.

It would've been much easier, but also safer to simply allow Sakura to heal his arm, but then she would wonder where the cuts were from. So Naruto put on new bandages, shoving the old ones in a gopher hole nearby. (So those things have a purpose after all?)

The sun began to rise, and in a few minutes the squad was up and ready to roll. Sakura passed out protein energy breakfast bars that she made specifically for this kind of situation. Each member thanked her, as well as Naruto, who once again hesitated before accepting the food.

It was supposed to take about 2 days to reach the land of lightning, which was the last reported sighting of Sasuke. Naruto was both nervous and excited to see his friend again, but mostly, extremely worried for his safety.

He grimaced. The small bite of energy in his mouth turned sour. But he was reluctant to spit it out because Sakura had made them.

Oi, kit, don't you dare spit that out. Swallow it, it's good for you. And besides, you don't want to hurt Sakuras feelings...like Sasuke has done to her so many times before.

'I really don't like you right now Kurama.'
Naruto told him.

You're not supposed to like me, I'm a demon fox, using your body as a vessel, and bossing you around. Although if you ask me, I think I'm pretty convenient to have around.

'Well no one's asking you, so shut it.' Naruto thought harshly.

Alright, alright, alright.

Narutos pov.

I really was trying to eat the bar, but I was still full from my small fish last night, that I can barely handle a small bite. 'Good thing I have pockets though.' I thought to myself. I could feel Kakashis eyes on my back, boring into me, so after I placed the bar in my pocket, I still pretended to have it in my hand, and move my jaw up and down when my hand goes up near my face.

Nobody questioned me, so I took that as a good sign. Although after a few hours, my arm began to hurt a bit, and I felt quite drowsy and tired.

I reached for my canteen to take a drink. Just as I did that Jiriya at the front turned around for a quick break. It was near evening, our first real break of the day. We all jumped down from the trees, and I sat down almost immediately from exhaustion, and started downing my water like crazy.

   "Whoa Naruto, take it easy. That water's not going anywhere." Jiriya told me, patting my back.

    "No need to be so hasty." Kakashi told me.

   "I'm just thirsty." I explained between gulps of water.

   "I'll say." Sakura piped in.

   "Yeah, I guess so." I panted.

My stomach started to hurt pretty bad just then, and I winced in pain. Unfortunately for me, Kakashi saw, and gave me a suspicious glance before saying, "If something's bothering you Naruto, then you need to tell us."

I instantly panicked, I didn't know what to say.

You could try the truth for once.

'I can't.' I told him.

But they're your friends, you trust them with your life don't you?

'Yes but-'

Then why don't you trust them with this?

'I don't know-I can't tell them, what will they think?' I panicked even more.

How are they supposed to trust you with their lives if they know you're hiding something?

   "Naruto?" Kakashi asked, concern spread through his eye.

   "Hey kid, what's the matter?" Jiriya asked worriedly.

I quickly got up and took a few steps backwards. My breathing was getting faster, and my breaths were becoming shorter, it felt like I couldn't breathe. I had so many things running through my mind, until it all came rushing past me, as the groud rose up to catch my limp body.