Ch. 3

They had left the hokages office and were a few hours on Sasukes trail. It made Naruto nauseous just thinking about what would happen if Sasuke refused. And what were the chances of that? He had already refused them so many times, so what's one more?
Naruto was sick with worry, and Sakura didn't look much better.

After several hours of this, Narutos stomach began to growl. He then realized that he only had a bite of toast that morning before Sakura came.

And he hadn't really had much of an appetite during the previous days. But then he began to think,'if I can't even save a friend, then why should I be allowed to eat? If he dies, then why shouldn't I?'

Kit, that's crazy talk. You have to stop thinking like this.

"No Kurama." Was all he said.

Jiriya noticed that Naruto was being quieter than usual, and maybe thinner too? It was kinda hard to tell when they were jumping through trees and whatnot. He also looks kind of tired thought Jiriya. Without a second thought, Jiriya said,"Hey Kakashi, how bout a break?"

"I was getting a bit tired myself." Kakashi commented.

"Well, alright everyone, rest up, we'll continue at daybreak." Jiriya announced.

Everyone began to unpack their bags, and lay out their sleeping mats. Kakashi started a small fire, and sent Sakura to gather firewood, while he looked for something edible. Jiriya took this as an opportunity to talk to Naruto.

"Hey kid, it's been a while." Jiriya began.

"Yeah, I guess it has." Naruto responded.

"You got any new jutsu?"

"Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've been working on this one that's super powerful!" Naruto said excitedly. "But it takes a lot of concentration and hard work." He added.

"Ha! Yeah kid, I bet it does." Jiriya said laughing, while ruffling up Narutos hair.

Naruto grinned. Not many people have ever touched him compassionately before the way that Jiriya did, especially since he grew up without parents. It was like the little piece of childhood that was missing appeared when Jiriya did. Just the loving touch of his hand was enough to make Naruto at least a little happy.

"So are you done with your next novel?" Naruto asked curiously.

"Actually, I was thinking of adding a fanart section featured in my latest novel. So all those horny-I mean happy artist fans could potentially be featured with their artwork in the next one." Jiriya explained.

"Woah, that sounds so awesome! Believe it!"
"Glad you're so interested." Jiriya stated.

Kakashis pov.

I was on my way back to the campsite, saw Sakura ahead of me behind a tree, laughter a bit further ahead. I looked up ahead to see Naruto and Jiriya sensei chatting and cracking each other up. Whew. I approached Sakura.

"See, I told you he would be fine, didn't I?" I asked her.

A small smile became Sakuras face.

"Yeah, I guess you were right after all Kakashi sensei."

"Let's get that fire started." Kakashi stated.

"Right." Answered Sakura, carrying what wood she found towards the dwindling dancing flames.

Narutos pov.

'Where in the world did Kakashi sensei find all those fish? I didn't even notice the presence of a river near here.' Naruto thought to himself. But he had bigger issues. Kakashi caught fish, and once they were cooked he would be expected to eat some.

There's no good way to escape the situation without looking suspicious, and since there was so much, it would be difficult to get away with eating only a little.
'Maybe if I fall asleep, I could avoid eating altogether.' He thought. 'But then again, i was kinda hoping to get to talk to Jiriya sensei some more, but if I'm sleeping I can't do that. Not to mention we leave almost immediately at day break. What to do, what to do. ~growl uh oh.

"Someone's hungry." Jiriya said, poking Naruto in his sides with his elbows, a stupid grin planted on his face.

"Heh, yeah." Muttered Naruto.

'Great. Just great. Now I'm obligated to eat.' He thought to himself.

About time kit, you've gone way too long without proper nutrition. I'm impressed you haven't fallen over with exhaustion yet, most would have by now, seeing as you're a young ninja in training, and have been jumping through the trees all day. What would Sasuke think?

'He thinks I'm a loser. And that I'm weak. But if I can get by without any food, then I'll be stronger than anyone, even Sasuke.' Naruto told Kurama.

Naruto...that's not strength...

"Fish is done!"exclaimed Kakashi.

"Alright, let's eat!" Jiriya said loudly.

Sakura sat down around the fire next to Kakashi, and Naruto between her and Jiriya. They each said a quick prayer, thankful for the food, (Naruto a little less thankful), and each grabbed a stick with a fish on the end. Naruto hesitated slightly before carefully selecting the smallest fish.

He then blew on it for a while, stalling for time, before finally picking off a small piece and placing it inside his mouth. He made sure to chew it very thoroughly, and as slowly as possible.

He repeated the process. When Jiriya wasn't looking, he snagged one of the empty sticks in Jiriyas pile, and set it next to his own, to make it look like he ate more than he did.

The group chatted lightheartedly around the fire, trying to distract themselves from the possibilities that might happen once they find Sasuke. At some point, Naruto dozed off and fell asleep by the fire.

"He must be pretty beat, just look at him." Jiriya mentioned.

"He's such a child." Sakura said, clicking her tongue playfully.

"And what are you? An adult?" Kakashi retorted.

Sakura rolled her eyes. "I didn't mean it like that."

Jiriya chuckled before picking up Naruto and carrying him towards his sleeping bag.
'Hmm. Are teenage boys supposed to be this light?' Jiriya questioned himself. 'Or maybe that new workout routine has made me stronger....yeah, that's probably more likely.'