Ch. 2 Cuts never go that deep

Naruto got into the shower and turned the water on. The warm water felt good on his cool skin. He washed up, and then remembered he forgot to shave. He picked up his blade, but it slipped out of his fingers and cut his arm. Naruto winced from the pain, but after a few seconds, it was gone. Naruto decided to try something that he might regret later on.

Sakura pov.

Lady Tsunade told me to bring Naruto and myself to her office. I wonder if she has a new mission for us. Sakura was on her way to Naruto's house when she ran into Iruka sensei.
"Good morning Sakura." Iruka said.
"Good morning to you as well." Sakura replied.
"You wouldn't by chance be headed to see Naruto, would you?" Iruka asked.

"Actually, I'm on my way now." Sakura told him. Iruka raised his eyebrows.

"You two wouldn't happen to be...dating...?" Iruka questioned.

A bit taken aback, Sakura chuckled nervously, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"No sensei, it's nothing like that, I promise. Lady Tsunade asked me to get him." Sakura said.

"Oh, I see." Irukua started. "Now that reminds me, I wanted to talk to Naruto about something. Guess I'll catch him later then."

"I really must get going sensei." Sakura told him.

"Of course, and tell him I said hi." Iruka mentioned, whilst walking away backwards.

Sakura chuckled to herself. All these weird Shinobu in her village. At least there was Naruto. Naruto could brighten up anyone's mood, but also on occasion, piss her and others off. But ever since he came back from training with Jiriya sensei, he had become a lot more mature, and a bit calmer, to everyone's relief. Once she arrived, she knocked on the door.
"Naruto, you in there?" Sakura yelled.

"Sakura? What are you doing here?" Naruto asked, confused.

He was wearing lounge clothes, long sleeves, and a bit of toast hanging from his mouth. 'Typical Naruto' thought Sakura.

"Lady Tsunade needs us for something." Sakura told him. "Oh, and I ran into Iruka this morning, and he says hi." Sakura added.

Naruto stared at her blankly. He blinked.

"Yeah whatever." He set down his toast, and closed the door.

Sakura sighed, he still seemed a bit off. But at least he seems fine. Naruto began to lead the way, and Sakura followed.

"Hey Naruto," Sakura began, lightly grabbing his wrist.

"What?" Naruto asked coldly, wincing slightly as he snatched his arm back.

Taken aback by this sudden behavior, Sakura looked down.

"It's just-nevermind." Sakura said.

"Sakura, whatever you have to say, just say it." Naruto flat out told her.

"Okay then," Sakura began, "Are you okay, Naruto?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Naruto retorted.

Lying through your teeth huh? Impressive, I didn't think you had the guts to lie to the girl you love, but I guess I was wrong.

"Shut up Kurama. It's none of your business."

Sakura then said, "Naruto, you just seem...off."

"I seem off to you? What does that even mean?" Naruto questioned.

"I mean ever since we came back from that mission, you've been acting strangely. Not to mention you look kind of pale, and nobody's seen you in days." Sakura said.

She got you good, huh? How will you avoid this I wonder...

"Sakura," Naruto said, putting his hands on her shoulders and looking her straight in the eyes, "I'm fine, I promise." He gave weak smile, that reminded her of Sai.

"If you say so..." Sakura trailed off.

I'm stunned, I can't believe that worked. Kit, who taught you how to be so convincing? Oh wait...foxes are sly....good at deception...I'm a fox...oh no...dangit.

At the hokages office, Jiriya and Kakashi were already there waiting with Tsunade. Word had gotten out that Sasuke had killed Orochimaru, and was now a threat to the leaf. So Tsunade was sending the four of them out to capture him, dead or alive. Tsunade left the last part out, to protect Naruto and Sakura. But Jiriya was going instead of Sai, because Naruto is a target of the akatsuki after all.

This news had Naruto a bit in shock. Sasuke defeated Orochimaru? But how? Was he really that strong? 'I could never do that', Naruto thought to himself, 'I can't even tell the truth to my friends, so how could I ever be strong?'

But kit, you are strong. I've seen it many times, whenever you stand up for what you believe in, or when you learned Chakra control. Remember?

"You don't have to lie to me Kurama, I know the truth. The only reason I'm any good at anything is because of your Chakra inside of me......I've never done anything on my own."

Naruto...

"One more thing," Tsunade added, "If Sasuke refuses to come of his own free will, then he is to be killed."

All remaining color drained from Naruto's face, they'll have to kill Sasuke? No, it can't be...but there's no way...no way he could actually destroy the leaf village. Sakura seemed to be having a similar reaction.

Naruto opened his mouth to protest, but before he could, Tsunade snapped," Sakura, Naruto, I realize this is difficult for you two, but this must be done. Sasuke is a threat to the leaf village, and it would be irresponsible of me to pull blind ignorance on the matter. Is that clear?"

"Yes m'lady." Both replied reluctantly.

"Good. Now I expect you two will keep them in line." Tsunade told the two older men.

"We will." Jiriya spoke confidently, nodding towards Naruto.