Chapter 3: Zoe's Proof

Zoe's POV:

I was thinking. I was stupid! I thought that maybe the gods had changed, maybe they would help heroes that had helped them before. I was wrong, to say the least! Dam (A/N: see what I did there lmao) Aphrodite, for CharmSpeaking me to stay, curse her!

I didn’t realise it at first, but I had started humming the tune to the song my dad wrote. He wrote it after him and my mum got into a fight on the Argo II, and he would sing it quietly all the time at… wait! That’s my proof! I could show them my Poseidon powers, but I’m a bit out of practice, and this will be so much more fun!

~Quick Note: The song used is actually ‘Let her go’ by Passenger. I don’t own the song, I’m just using it: and in this universe, Percy wrote it himself~

I heard a clap of thunder, so I looked up to see Dionysus had returned, with 5 heroes standing behind him, facing the council; their backs turned to me.
I stopped humming, I recognised each hero immediately: The blonde was Will Solace, son of Apollo; The black haired, small boy was Nico di Angelo, son of Hades; I also saw Frank Zhang, Hazel Levesque, and Leo Valdez- who still looked a bit like an elf. I recognised them like family, even though we had never met.

Zeus' POV:

“So, Zeus…” Frank was the first to speak, his eyes glancing around the room, unsure- I think- of why he was brought here “Why are we here? The veteran ceremony isn’t for another month, and it’s happening at camp!”

I sighed. Demigods. So unpredictable, and just plain irritating. “There is a girl, she claims to be Zoe… Jackson. We need you to help us determine whether she lies…. Or not, I guess.” “Well, where is Zoe?” Valdez, smiling at his father, Hephaestus, before turning his attention to me.
“Behind you,” I said, gesturing to the chair on which the girl sat. The heroes turned around to see Zoe, biting her fingernails.

Will's POV:

“Wassup!” Zoe greeted the us. “So…” Hazel begins “What’s your proof?! How do we know you are who you say you are?!”
There was a moment of silence. Until me and Nico said “Well!” in unison, gods I love him. But I think we were all surprised when she began to sing…

Zeus' POV:

At first, I must admit I was baffled. The girl needed to show proof, so why the Styx was she singing, but then I saw the effect it was having on some of the others. Dionysus, Aphrodite, and Apollo were almost in a trance, fixed on the words that came out of the girl’s mouth. The same was happening with Chiron- I had almost forgotten he was there- and the 5 heroes.

“Well, you only need the light when its burning low,
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go
Only know you’ve been high when you’re feeling low
Only hate the road when you’re missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go”

“What is she doing to you?!” I asked “What dark magic is th-” I was shushed by all 8 of them. What was the child doing to them? I turned to look at the other gods, and was almost pleased to see that they were as confused as I was.

Zoe continued singing, her eyes slowly moving around the room- taking in her surroundings:

(Btw this is the second verse)

“Staring at the bottom of your glass
Hoping one day you'll make a dream last
But dreams come slow, and they go so fast
You see her when you close your eyes
Maybe one day, you'll understand why
Everything you touch surely dies
But you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know you love her when you let her go
Only know you've been high when you're feeling low
Only hate the road when you're missing home
Only know you love her when you let her go”