prologυe

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ
ᴛʜɪs sʜᴏᴡ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴡʀᴇᴄᴋ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴɪɴɢ
ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡʜᴏʟᴇ ʟɪғᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴀʏ
ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ sɪɴɢʟᴇ ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ ɪs ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ᴅɪsᴍᴀʏ
sᴏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ
ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ᴄʜɪʟᴅʀᴇɴ ʟᴏsᴇ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʜᴏᴍᴇ
ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴏ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴀᴡғᴜʟ
ʜᴇ ᴛʀɪᴇs ᴛᴏ sᴛᴇᴀʟ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ғᴏʀᴛᴜɴᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀ ᴘʟᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ɴᴏᴛ ǫᴜɪᴛᴇ ʟᴀᴡғᴜʟ
ɪᴛ's ʜᴀʀᴅ ᴛᴏ ғᴀᴛʜᴏᴍ ʜᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʀᴘʜᴀɴs
ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ɪᴛ
ᴏʀ ʜᴏᴡ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴄᴇɴᴛ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ
ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴠɪᴇᴡ ɪᴛ
ᴊᴜsᴛ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ
ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴏʀʀᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ
ɪɴᴄᴏɴᴠᴇɴɪᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ
ᴀsᴋ ᴀɴʏ sᴛᴀʙʟᴇ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ "sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ?"
ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ sᴀʏ
ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ, ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴡᴀʏ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗗 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗢𝗡 𝗣𝗢𝗩

After a ride on a rickety trolley, the Baudelaire children sat down on the sand of Briny Beach, ignoring the specks that got in their shoes.

Violet Baudelaire was the eldest, 14 years old, right-handed, and exceptionally mechanically minded. Klaus Baudelaire was the middle child, the only boy, a little older than twelve, and wore glasses, making him look intelligent. He was intelligent. Sunny Baudelaire was the youngest, an infant, and lacked communication skills, but made up for it with the size and sharpness of her teeth.

Once they assured themselves Violet's invention functioned properly with a few trials, they caught sight of a man in an ebony suit coming out of the fog. With Sunny in Violet's arms and Klaus by her side, they walked towards the coughing man, cautious.

"It's Mr. Poe." Violet concluded, her body softening from her previous reluctant posture.

"From the bank? What do you think he is doing here?" Klaus asked her older sister, but Violet couldn't answer. For the first time in a while, she had no idea.

The man's coughing continued until each of Baudelaire children said 'how do you do' to the banker. He replied, "Fine, thank you for asking. I have bad news for you children. Your parents have perished in a terrible fire." When those words came out of the banker's mouth, the Baudelaires' lives deteriorated. Violet dropped the rock she was holding, holding back tears along with her siblings.

Blinking rapidly, she hoped she heard wrong, that she was in a nightmare and bound to wake up with her parents sleeping in the next room.

"Your parents perished in a fire that destroyed your entire home. I apologize for having to tell you this... my dears," Mr. Poe clarified, standing awkwardly. "Perished means killed."

"We know what perished means." Klaus let out, his voice faltering. Mr. Poe simply nodded with an uneasy smile and chuckle. And with that, they went to live with Count Olaf, which would alter their lives perpetually.

As they adapted to their new environment, they would earn a friend, one they would come to think of as family. For one of the Baudelaire siblings, their friendship would blossom something more.

𝗣𝗨𝗕𝗟𝗜𝗦𝗛𝗘𝗗 𝗔𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗟 𝟭𝟮, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟭