тнe вad вegιnnιng: parт one

◢︎◣︎
◢︎◣︎◢︎◣︎◢︎◣︎

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

𝗩𝗜𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗧'𝗦 𝗣𝗢𝗩

"Hello there! Salutations! Shalom! You must be the Baudelaire children!" a woman said with a bunch of bags in her hands. Her voice was laced with a certain kindness that brought me comfort.

"Yes, I'm Violet Baudelaire, and this is my brother, Klaus, and this is my sister, Sunny. And this is Mr. Poe. He's been arranging things for us." I said politely, holding my sister like I usually did.

"Mulctuary Money Management. My name and title are on the card. Although I may be in line for a promotion, so that might change." Mr. Poe declared, handing out his business card to the judge. It was no secret that the man was proud of his occupation, but it grew to be annoying when he babbled on and on about it the entire car ride.

Justice Strauss declared, "Oh, well, I am Justice Strauss of the High Court. Please forgive me for not being able to shake hands, but as you can see, I have a handful of parcels. Today I bought a new toolkit since my food processor broke. I don't know why I bought that. I have no inventive or mechanical skills whatsoever. I also got some new file cards for a private library I own, but I frankly don't have a judicious literary sense either. To top that all off, I just had to forget to buy a bread knife. Clearly, I have no way of cutting up my baguette into bite-sized pieces, which is unfortunate for me because I was planning to take my cut up bread with my white bean hummus ─︎"

"We would be glad to help you, Justice Strauss. Violet here is truly mechanically minded, meanwhile, I am rather adept at library science," my brother interrupted, smiling kindly.

"I'd also like to help!" Sunny said in her baby language, though only me and Klaus could understand. Justice Strauss glanced at Sunny, attempting to comprehend what she implied.

"What my sister is trying to say is that her small teeth are perfect for slicing bread!" I translated to Justice Strauss, seeing her smile widen.

She gasped in relief and said, "That's wonderful! How lucky am I to have such unusual children in my life?" I didn't know whether that was a compliment or not. Nonetheless, I continued grinning.

"Do you happen to be Count Olaf's wife?" my brother questioned, looking behind the woman as if he were waiting for a middle-aged man to stroll and enter the conversation. Strangely enough, we didn't know who he was. Our parents didn't introduce us to him, and his name didn't sound familiar.

Justice Strauss replied, clearly stunned and slightly disgusted, "What? Oh, no! Me? His wife? Goodness, no! I don't really know him that well. I just live near him! He's just my neighbor. His house is right over there."