Chapter 2

Grug ran out of the cave, screaming and growling while lifting a boulder and hurls it.

"Raaaaar grooooOOOOoooowwwll ERF Glaaaaaabbbbllllllllthhhh!" Grug grolwed. 

Everyone was waiting for Grugs signal but Eep brust through the cave at this point, Vanessa saw no point of staying in since Eep ran out, so she just walked out.

"Eep we were supposed to wait for the signal," Vanessa said, Grug agreed but Eep was occupied with scaring a pack of  Liyotes away. They ended up pouncing on and running on Grug.

Vanessa jumped up the ledge with Eep and laid down next to her. "We've been in that cave forever," she said and Vanessa agreed while basking in the warmth of the sun. 'It felt great' she thought. 

"Three days is not forever," Grug protested. 

"it is with this family," Eep scoffed. 

"We should go out more, the sun feels so warm. I wish we could come out every day," Vanessa said and Eep agreed with everything she said.

"Eep, Vanessa would you come down here? You're being so, so dramatic."

Before any of the girls could respond Sandy came charging out next. 

At this point, Grug was visibly frustrated, his plan didn't go the way he wanted it to.

"No. no, no Sandy, the signal. Good girls wait for the signal," he stated trying to catch her.

Ugga came out and caught Sandy from being carried away from the huge bug.

"Ugga," Grug pleaded 

"As soon as I get Sandy, I'll go back in and you can give the signal."

"No, I mean you're already out"

"I am waiting for your signal, dad," 9-year-old Thunk pointed out, still inside the cave.

At this point, Grug gave up "Never mind, Thunk. Just come out."

There was a long pause then "uuuhh, but if you don't give out the signal then how do I know you're my dad."

Vanessa was fed up at this point and lead over the ledge. "The signal is so you know he's not dead so come out Thunk it's fine, everyone else is," she said in frustration. 

Thunk was doubtful "I don't know...... I'm still waiting for the signal."

Grugg sighs "Hooo hooooooo! Hoooooo hoooo!"

Thunk comes out growling and barrels into Grugg knocking him over. He picks up a boulder and throws which somehow rolled into the air and falls onto Grug.

Grug gets ploughed by the boulder. 

Upon the ledge, Vanessa was watching stretching like a cat finding this very entertaining.

"Mom," Ugga called out " We, ready to leave. Mom!"

Grug sits up, smiling.

"Still alive!" Gran called out, walking out of the cave chuckling.

Grug's face dropped. "It's still early," he mumbled but Gran heard him.

"And you're still fat." Gran snaps at Grug. Vanessa giggle, Gran was her favourite out of the Croods.

"Hey Gran, the sun, sure is nice isn't it?" Vanessa asked while looking at her favourite family member.

"Vanessa! The sun feels amazing, too bad Grugs stupid rules keep us in. They're just as stupid as he is," gran laughed.  "How's my little cub doing?" Gran smiled at Vanessa.

Vanessa's eyes light up " I was just telling Eep how I wish we could go out more and not stay stuck in the cave."

Grug groans and looks at her. 

"I know,I know, we must stay in the cave because it's safe and we must follow the rules. That's why we're are alive today." Vanessa stated. Grug was happy one of the girls understood. "You know what to do when we're gone right? Run in the cave when-" Grug was cut off.

"When I see danger, yes yes I know, I'll be right here don't worry," Vanessa assured him. "Grug she knows the rule, you've explained way too many times," Ugga interjected.

"She's not stupid unlike someone I know," Gran said looking at Grug. "Thanks Gran you're the best," Vanessa said smiling at her.

Grug grumbled and called out to the family "Breakfast formation!" 

Eep was ecstatic she jumped down the ledge and joined the family forming their formation.

 "I want to see some real caveman action out there. We do this fast. We do this loud, we do this as a family and never not be afraid. Go!" Grug exclaimed and off they went. 

"Byeeeeee!" Vanessa shouted and laid back down enjoying the sun.