Chapter 10

"So the bear says, "Your cave?" I've been dumping my here last week," Guy joked.

Both Gran and Thunk burst out laughing "Last week, haha. That's a story!

"It's not a story," Guy said as Grug walked past him bumping shoulders "It's a joke."

They all stopped, Gran and Thunk looked up at him confused "What's a joke," Gran asked.

"You know, just making something up... to make you laugh."

The Croods stood motionless before an open plain, deeply sculpted with meandering grooves which form a massive maze. Guy handed each of the Croods a she'll "Here you go, one for you and this one," he lifted the last shell to Grugg "for you," Grug snatched it out of his hand.

Everyone started to test out their shells, annoying Grug "Okay. Okay. That's enough. I don't see why the kids need their own shells." Grugg groaned.

"So if anyone gets in trouble, we can call the others," Guy answered.

'There is no way Grug will agree,' Vanessa thought.

Thunk nodded at Guy's response "Wait...You're saying we should split up," Grug asked, Thunk glanced at his father's disapproving expression and shook his head at Guy.

"We can try more paths at once. It's the fastest way through," Guy argued but Grug shook his head.

Vanessa and Epp stood next to Guy on each side "We can do it, dad," Eep said.

"You have to put more faith in us," Vanessa said.

"No, no, no, no, no. It's my job to keep you safe. I'm in and we are not splitting up," he glanced between Vaness, Eep and Guy. Eep was rubbing her shoulder against Guy "Except for you three," he places his hand on Vanessa's and Epp's shoulder and pushes them away, then tosses Guy behind him. "And that's final."

Grug sits down like a silverback gorilla, Vanessa, Eep and Guy get up and walk up to him. Guy was about to say something but just then, there was a huge rumble. The Earth starts to shake violently. The Croods, Vanessa and Guy are knocked down into the maze each 'falling' into a separate entrance.

They disappear into the rift like a penny dropped down a drain. As Grug and Guy slid past each other "Oh, hello," Guy said awkwardly. Angry, Grug tries to punch Guy but before he could they each went into their own slide.

"Weeeeeeeeee!"Vanessa shouted as she slid down the slide. She knew she should be worried about where she'd land but this was the first time since she is something this fun since she started living with The Croods.

She saw the end and closed her eyes waiting for impact but it didn't come. She opened her eyes and she was sitting perfectly unharmed on the ground.

The shaking comes to a stop. Everyone now separated and gathered themselves. Grug finds himself all alone "Hello!? Hello!? Is everyone alright?" He yelled long around, he stood up quickly and banged his head on a log "Arrg!" he shouted.

"We're okay, Grug," Ugga yelled.

"Vanessa?!" Grug yelled, he was worried about his family but Vanessa wasn't as strong as them and could easily be injured.

"I'm fine," Vanessa yelled.

"Dad? I'm freaking out a little bit," Thunk said, he held the shell close to his chest and curled up, rocking back and forth shaking from fear "Just tell me what to do. Just what do I do right now?"

Grug climbed up the log "Just stay where you are. I'll find you," he said and tried to climb up the walls.

"No," Vanessa said. "We all need to keep moving forward and we'll get out."