Chapter 8

Vanessa listens to the chaos the family was causing from behind her. She was walking next to Eep who was picking on the orange flower to place behind her ear. Vanessa decided to collect some flowers and make a flower crown herself.

Sandy was currently harassing Thunk, her jaw was locked tight on his head.

"Aaaaaaaargh. Get her off. Get off." Thunk screamed while he tried to pull Sandy off his head.

"If you're not ready to challenge her then don't look her in the eye," Ugga says as she successfully pulls Sandy off Thunks head, which causes Sandy to smack Gran behind the head. She turned and smacked her back with her stick and started to argue "Could you keep your big giant arms on your side of the trail?!" She exclaimed.

Eep walks up to Guy light holding the log "Isn't this fun? We're taking our first trip together." She giggles. Vanessa was distracted by her flower crown to notice Gran coming her way. Gran bumps into Vanessa which causes to bump into Eep which causes Eep to be shoved into the log pushing Guy out the other end. Vanessa stumbles back, Eep turns around furious and goes to attack whoever started it. "Stop shoving, or I will pull out your tongue!" Eep yelled.

Grug was annoyed, he pulled Guy back into place and turned around " Do you want me to turn this family around? Do you? Because I will turn this family around so fast!" Grug shouts in frustration. This fell to deaf ears, the chaos continued.

Guy's eyes flickered towards her, observing her. She caught his gaze but he didn't look away. She tilted her head to one side and he did the same, she covered her mouth and let out a small giggle. This caused Guy to chuckle, he stopped and stared at her.

She caught him looking, she leaned in and smirked "You have questions don't you?" He averts his eyes away from her, she leaned and whispered "I can see your curious it's written on your face," she sang softly, he looked away an the tips of his ears turned visibly red.

"Um...you don't look or act like them, I mean I'm not trying to be rude but why?" He asked while fumbling with his words, he kept avoiding eye contact. Vanessa placed her finger under his chin and guided his face to meet her gaze. She let go once he was looking at her "Well they adopted after my parents died and I'm thankful for that."

"I'm so sorry about your parents"

"It's fine but I don't have as much stamina or strength as them so i stay inside the cave when they go hunting," uys head tills in confusion, she notices "If you're wondering about my skin, i was born this way my parents have the same skin tone." Guy nods, he speaks up "how do you get your hair like that?"

"I use a plant called aloe vera, I use it to twist my hair every full moon so it gets longer every time."

Guy looked like he was about to speak but Thunk came in between them "Dad! I gotta go!"

"Come on, you can hold it."

"I don't think so."

The Croods were travelling across dry land and it was chaotic. Vanessa felt bad for the animals that had to hear this. They continued to bicker at this point Vanessa turned out of what they were arguing about and did some sightseeing with Belt in her arms, she talked to Guy occasionally Eep would butt in.

"I really need to go really bad," Thunk says, hopping with his knees glued together. Grug sighed and Go behind one of those lumpy things and make it fast," he pointed towards sharp looking rocks. Thunk ran to them and screamed in pain "Ow! Something bit me!"

"I don't blame them," Gran scoffed.

"Maybe we should stop for water," Ugga suggested.

"Dad, can I take a turn carrying him?" Eep asked.