Chapter 1

I stepped down from the bus and squinted into the sunlight .Shielding my eyes with one hand, I searched the small parking lot for Uncle Collin and Aunt Martha.

I didn't remember what they looked like. I hadn't seen them since I was four, fourteen years  ago.

But Alaska bus station was so tiny. Just a little wooden shack in the middle of a big parking lot. I knew I couldn't miss them.

"How many suitcases ?" The bus driver growled out of the side of his mouth. Despite the cold October air, he had a damp sweat on the back of his grey uniform.

"Just one, " I said. I was the only passenger to get off at Alaska.

Across from the bus station, I saw a gas station and a one block stretch of small stores. Beyond that, I could see the woods. The trees shimmered yellow and brown, the Autumn leaves still clinging to their branches.

The driver grunted as he hoisted up the sliding door to the baggage compartment. He pulled out a black bag. "This is yours, kid ?"

I nodded. "Yeah, Thanks "
I shivered from a gust of cold wind. I wondered if Mom and Dad had packed enough warm clothes for me. They'd to pack me up in such a hurry.

They weren't expecting to be called out of the country on business just before Halloween. They'd to fly to France. And they'd to find me a place for me to stay for two weeks. Maybe longer.

My aunt and uncle were the luck winners! I adjusted the camera bag on my shoulder. I kept my camera on my lap the whole bus ride. I didn't want it bouncing around in the baggage compartment.

My camera is the biggest valuable thing I own . I don't go anywhere without it. And I seldom let it out of my sight.

The driver slide my suitcase over the pavement to me. He slammed shut the baggage compartment. The started back into the bus. "Someone picking you up?"

"Yes,"I replied, searching for Uncle Collin and Aunt Martha again.

A mud -splattered blue van squealed into the parking lot.The car honked. I saw a hand waving to me from the passenger window.

“There they are!"  I told the bus driver. But he had already climbed back inside and shut the door. The bus hissed and groaned, and pulled away.

“Alex- hi !" Aunt Martha called from the van. I picked up my suitcase and trotted over to them.
The van screeched to a stop. Uncle Collin climbed out from behind the wheel. Aunt Martha came running from the other side.

I didn't remember them at all. I pictured them as young and dark- haired. But they were both pretty old-looking. They were both very tall and lean. As they hurried across the lot to me, they reminded me of two skinny grasshoppers with tufts of gray hair on their heads.

Aunt Martha wrapped me in a hug. Her arms felt so bony. “Alex-it's so wonderful to see you! I'm
so glad you came!" she exclaimed.

She let go quickly and backed away. “Uh-oh. I'm crushing your camera case!"

I shifted it around my neck. “No, it's a hard case," I replied. “It's okay."

Smiling, Uncle Collin shook hands with me. His wavy gray hair fluttered in the breeze. His cheeks were red and cracked. Age lines, I guess.

“You're so big and grown up,"  he said, “I'm going to have to call you Mr. Hunter instead of Alex."
I laughed. “No one calls me Miss Hunter-yet," I told him.

“How was the long bus ride?"he asked.
“Bumpy", I told him. I don't think the driver missed a single pothole!  And the man next to me had the hiccups the whole way."
Aunt Martha chuckled. “Sounds like a fun trip."

Uncle Collin lowered his eyes to my camera case. “ Like to take pictures, Alex ?"

I nodded. “Yes. I want to be a photographer one day. Just like you two."

Their smiles grew wider. That seemed to please them.

But Uncle Collin's smile faded quickly. “It's a hard a way to make a living, "he said. “Lot's of traveling. We never stay one place for long. "

Aunt Martha sighed. “That's why we haven't seen you for so many years." She hugged me again.

“I was hoping maybe I could go out on a shoot with you, "I said.
I'll bet you two could teach me a lot !"

Uncle Collin laughed. “We'll teach you all our secrets."

“You're staying for atleast two weeks," Aunt Martha added. “So we'll have plenty of time for photography session."

“Not if we spend the whole time in this parking lot!" Uncle Collin declared. With a groan, he hoisted my suitcase into the back of the van. We climbed in. And in few seconds later, we pulled away from the bus station, into town.

A post office whirred past. Then a small grocery and a dry cleaner. We crossed a street, and thick street sorrounded us on both sides.

“Is that all there is?" I cried.
“Alex," Aunt Martha replied, you've just had  the grand tour of Alaska."

“Hope you won't be bored in such a tiny town, " Uncle Collin added, turning the van sharply as the road curved through the trees.

“No way!" I cried. “I really want to  explore the woods."
I'm a city kid.  I seldom even get to touch a tree. Going into the woods, I thought,  will be so interesting-  like visiting another planet.

“I want to shoot a hundred rolls of film in the woods!" I declared. The van bumped hard, sending my head  bouncing against the van roof.

“Slow down,  Collin !" Aunt Martha scolded. She turned back to me. “Your uncle only knows one speed- light speed."

“Speaking of light, we'll show you some tricks for shooting outdoors," Uncle Collin said, pressing his foot even harder on the gas pedal.

“I've entered a photography contest back home," I told them. “I want to snap a great Halloween photo. Something really wild to win the contest."

“Oh, that's right. Halloween's only a couple of days off," Aunt Martha said, glancing at my uncle. She turned back to me. “What do you want to be for Halloween, Alex?"

I didn't have to think about it. I'd already decided it back home. 
“A werewolf," I told her.
“NO!" She screamed.
Uncle Collin also let out a cry.
The van plowed through a stop sign. I flew off the seat and hit the door hard. And stared helplessly through the bouncing windshield - as we swered into the path of a roaring truck.

I have been writing this story for a while now, waiting to upload the first chapter for everyone! My plan is to hopefully upload daily. I don't know about you all but I HATE when books take forever to update....I get really frustrated.

Please VOTE and COMMENT so I can know what everyone thinks.
And also to  know posting a chapter often is the right thing!

I hope you will give this story a chance because I do love the idea I'm trying to express and there are lots to come!