Chapter 10

*****

I began trotting along the side of the house towards the backyard. Heavy black clouds covered the moon. The night air felt colder than I had thought. I zipped my down jacket as I ran.

I glanced at the Marlings house as I jogged past. Nothing to see there. The black window had been left wide open. But the house was completely dark. Not a light on anywhere.

The grass was slick and wet from a heavy dew. I felt a splash of cold on my forehead. A raindrop ?
I groaned as I thought of my camera, sitting out in the woods. It was such an expensive camera. I prayed I could find it before it started to rain.
Several tiny animals scampered silently past my feet.
I stopped.
No. Not animals. Fat, dead leaves. They scuttled over the dark grass, pushed by swirls of wind.

I lowered my head under a tree branch and entered the woods at the back of the yard. The old trees shivered and creaked. The steady WHOO of an owl, far in the distance, made me think of my aunt and uncle. They were here with their cameras somewhere in the woods. I wondered if I would run into them.

I followed the twisting path through the trees. Another raindrop fell heavily on the top of my head. Rain spattered the ground. I stopped when the bent tree came into view. The tree I had photographed with Hannah that afternoon. I played my flashlight over its curved shape.

"At least I am heading in the right direction," I said out loud. I stepped over a fallen tree branch and moved deeper into the woods. The trees began to hiss, the leaves shaking in the rising wind. I could still hear the owl's steady WHOO WHOO in the distance.

My flashlight dimmed, then brightened again. It's thin circle of light made a path for me between the trees.
"All right!" I cried out when the light swept over my camera case. I had set it down on a flat tree stump. How could I have forgotten it there ? With another happy cry, I picked it up. I actually felt like hugging it. I was so happy to have it back. I checked it out carefully, turning it under the flashlight.

I wiped away the few raindrops that clung to the top. Then, cradling it under one arm, I started back to the house. The rain had stopped, at least for a moment. I started to hum happily. I wanted to skip all the way home! I promised myself I had never leave it anywhere again.

I stopped humming when I heard the angry sound. An animal snarl. A fierce, throaty roar. I dropped the flashlight. The creature roared again. Where was it ? Where was it coming from ? Right behind me !

*****

OBSESSED ???

Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading and don't forget to Vote 😉