Chapter 7

After Hannah went home, I made my way to my  little bedroom. I straightened up a bit, shoving clothes into the dresser drawers.

I'm not the neatest person in the world. Let's face it ---- I am a total slob. But I knew if I let the clutter pile up in this tiny room, I' d never find anything.

I sat down at the desk and wrote a short letter to Mom and Dad. I told them everything was fine. I wrote that I'd have at least a thousand great photographs to show them when they came home from France.

When I finished addressing the letter, I wasn't feeling sleepy.  But I decided I should probably go to bed, anyway.

I went to the closet to find my pajamas. But I stopped at the window.
And stared out at a pale orange light.
A light in a side window of the Marlins house !

The light shimmered between two tilting trees, their leaves vibrating in the wind.A pale orange rectangle of light on the bottom floor of the house, near the back.

A bedroom window?
I pressed closer to the glass and squinted hard into the darkness. Squinted into the dim rectangle of orange.

Was I about to see one of the Marlins? I held my breath and waited.
I didn't have to wait long.
I let out a grasp as a silhouette crossed the window next door. A grey figure caught in the rectangle of orange.

Was it a man?
I couldn't tell.
The silhouette moved. It's an animal, I realized.
No. A man.
Mr Marlin?
I pressed against the glass, squinting hard. Was it a large dog? A man? I couldn't see clearly.

The silhouette moved away from the window. And then I heard a long, high animal wail. The sound floated out through the window next door. Floated across the narrow space between our houses.

The high, animal howl swept into my room. Swirled around me.

Such an ugly, frightening sound. Half-human, half-animal. A cry I had never heard before. A chill rolled down my back. And then another. Another howl made me gasp.

I stared out as the silhouette returned to the window. A creature with it's head tilted back. It's jaws open, uttering such frightening animal cries.

I've got to take a picture, I told myself. I've got to photograph the howling silhouette.

I spun away from the window.
Reached for my camera.
My camera?
It was gone.

****************************

Hi guys !! I updated faster than I thought XD .

Who is your favorite character so far?
What do you think is in the Marlins house?

Thanks a lot for Voting and Commenting, and please do the same on this chapter too. ❤️❤️

I'll try updating soon.
Love you guys !