Chapter 15

Why is everyone in Alaska obsessed with werewolves ? I wondered.

I laughed at Hannah and teased her the rest of the walk to school. I mean, how could anyone actually believe in werewolves today ?

"You are the only one trying to scare me," I told her. "But I don't get scared easily — remember ? I saw one of the German shepherds. It was howling in the Marlings window."

Hannah shrugged. "Believe what you want to believe," she murmured. " Don't try to scare me with werewolves anymore," I told her.

But I had a surprise when we arrived at school. Even Mr. Eric, the teacher, wanted to talk about werewolves all morning ! He was about forty, short, and chubby, with thinning brown hair and thick black eyeglasses perched on his round pink face. He wore a yellow sweater that made him resemble a ripe pear.

But Hannah was right. He was very nice. Very friendly. He welcomed me eagerly and introduced me to the other students, and really made me feel at home. He assigned me a seat near the door in back. Hannah sat in the front row.

I spotted Sean and Arjun near the window on the other side of the classroom. They nodded, but didn't say hi or anything. They both looked rumpled and kind of tired. Their baggy clothes were very wrinkled. Their hair was wild. They look as if they had been up all night, I thought.

Weird thought....
After taking attendance and making a few announcements, Mr. Eric sat on the edge of his desk. His eyes travelled around the room. He waited for us to settle down.

"Does anyone know what the study of lycanthropy is ?" he asked. Behind his glasses, his dark eyes glowed. I had never heard the word. But to my surprise, several hands rose up. He called on Arjun.

"It's about people changing into wolves," Arjun said. "Werewolves !" Sean exclaimed.

Mr Eric nodded. "Yes. Werewolves," he repeated. "That's what lycanthropy is the study of." He cleared his throat. "Since Halloween comes later this week, I thought we might spend some time discussing lycanthropy." "There is going to be a full moon on Halloween night this year !" a tall, athletic- looking boy interrupted.

" Yes, there is," Mr. Eric agreed. "Many people believe a full moon is needed to bring the werewolf to life — but they are wrong. Although a werewolf's powers do grow stronger as the moon grows fuller." Crossing his legs, he leaned back and began to talk. He explained how the werewolf legends began over two hundred years ago in Europe. A normal person, bitten by a werewolf, becomes a werewolf himself when moonlight shines on him. "It is a curse that cannot be removed," Mr. Eric said, speaking in a low, steady voice. Trying to sound spooky. "No matter how much he tries to live a normal life, a man inflicted with the curse turns into a wolf under the light of the moon."

"Girls too ?" Hannah asked. Some girls giggled. "Yes. Girls too," the teacher answered seriously. "The werewolf must rage and howl," Mr. Eric continued. "And prowl the woods or forest in search of victims."

"Cool !" a red- haired boy in front of me muttered.
Everyone laughed.

"At daybreak the werewolves must shed their wolf skin," the teacher explained. "They return to human form. They must hide their wolf skin until the next night. They must hide the skin in a safe place. Because if someone takes the werewolf's skin and burns it.....the werewolf will die." "Cool !" the red-haired boy repeated. More laughter. Kids started talking excitedly. It took a while for Mr. Eric to quiet everyone. He jumped to his feet, pulled down his yellow sweater, and paced in front of the chalkboard.

"Does anyone in this class believe that werewolves really exist ?" he asked. I snickered. I didn't think anyone would raise their hands.

But to my surprise every single hand in the room shot up. "You all believe in werewolves !" Mr. Eric declared.

"Yes, we do," I heard Arjun murmur softly. "Yes, we do," Sean repeated. I turned and realized they were both staring hard at me.

I felt a sudden chill. What is their problem? I wondered. Why are they acting so weird ?

*******

Don't forget to Vote and Comment 🌼